logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rubber Man  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2020 9:40:05 PM(UTC)
Rubber Man

Groups: Registered

Hi,

New vMix user here, just joined up today so hello to all.

Would anyone please be able to help me with setting up VLC as an Input source for vMix, I am having issues with it.
I have video and audio playing in VLC but I cannot get pictures into vMix using the Stream/SRT Input option.

I have downloaded and installed the custom version of VLC for vMix and I can get VLC into vMix if I use the NDI/Desktop option for Input.
However, when I select the Stream/SRT input option and select the Stream Type as the VLC option from the list I only get a black screen window in vMix.

It looks like vMix might possibly have accepted VLC as a Stream/SRT input but is present with a black screen.

I think I might be fairly close to getting it setup but am missing some setting somewhere?
Any help most appreciated.

Thx
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2020 10:23:19 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi and welcome to the vMix forum

AFAIK, VLC still does not allow to stream SRT. It can only be used as an SRT player and only in listener mode. To be confirmed but I feel like SRT implementation in VLC has not evolved at all since 2018 unfortunately.

However there are many other options if you want to ingest VLC playback in vMix

- first solution is to not use vLC at all ! ;o)
vMix can play your video files directly and has cool Playlist or List features if required.

- second is to use NDI which offers better quality and lower latency. After installing NDI Tools on your VLC computer (and setting VLC output to NDI), vMix will see VLC as an NDI source.

- alternatively you can "stream" from VLC to vMix using one the supported protocols, like RTSP, MPEG/TS, RTP, UDP, etc...
I wouldn't go this way as it will result in unnecessary high CPU usage and image quality degradation as well as more latency but it works.
This is where the VLC plugin for vMix is required.

IMHO, using SRT on a local network to feed vMix does not make much sense. There are better alternatives and SRT aims primarily at streaming over the internet.
If you still want to use SRT from a software encoder on a computer, check FFMPEG based apps like OBS for example or just FFMPEG or SmaRTencoder or Rivet or SRTStreamer.

Hope this helps
Rubber Man  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2020 11:03:53 PM(UTC)
Rubber Man

Thank you for your quick and detailed reply.

I was trying to "stream" from VLC to vMix using one the supported protocols, like RTSP, MPEG/TS, RTP, UDP, with the VLC plugin for vMix
I downloaded and installed the VLC plugin OK but could not get pics from VLC into vMix using this method.

I might try the NDI option with VLC ans an NDI source.
Is it just a matter of "googling" for NDI tools for windows and installing them?

Thx
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2020 11:30:24 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
I downloaded and installed the VLC plugin OK but could not get pics from VLC into vMix using this method.

Seems you're not familiar with streaming protocols. Not as easy as it might seem, especially not with VLC!
Still don't get why you want to stream (I mean do a live encoding and transport) from VLC for files that vMix can play natively.

Quote:
Is it just a matter of "googling" for NDI tools for windows and installing them?

Everything is a matter of googling and reading manuals ! That's for sure !

You said you're a beginner... What you're trying to do here requires a lot of knowledge and experience.
NDI is very easy to use but it anyway takes a little effort for newbies to figure it out.

Dig in the forum, it's a fantastic Knowledge Base if you're willing to learn.
Rubber Man  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2020 1:30:17 AM(UTC)
Rubber Man

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
Seems you're not familiar with streaming protocols. Not as easy as it might seem, especially not with VLC!
Still don't get why you want to stream (I mean do a live encoding and transport) from VLC for files that vMix can play natively.

Everything is a matter of googling and reading manuals ! That's for sure !

You said you're a beginner... What you're trying to do here requires a lot of knowledge and experience.
NDI is very easy to use but it anyway takes a little effort for newbies to figure it out.

Dig in the forum, it's a fantastic Knowledge Base if you're willing to learn.

Thank you for the reply.
I got it sorted out, I downloaded NDI Tools, configured VLC for NDI A/V output and then used the vMix Input NDI option.