logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
katsquirrel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2020 8:41:06 PM(UTC)
katsquirrel

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

I'm using shortcuts to "SetMultiviewOverlay" as a means of switching the content of a screen within a Virtual Set.

This content can be anything from a still, a camera, a call, a screen capture etc.

Simply using the shortcut performs a hard cut each time, is there a way of specifying a transition?

Clearly if the screen shows a pptx or slideshow we can specify the transition type within the input settings but I'm jumping between input types. If there is another workflow to achieve this then I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Matt
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2020 8:55:16 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Go through the Mix inputs
matkeane  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 12:44:59 AM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Yeah, like DWAM says, if you assign a Mix input to your Virtual Set screen in the multiview layer, you can then use the Mix transitions. It also means you can hand off switching of the virtual screen to a colleague if you have a lot going on and, if you have an external output free, you can send the Mix to it and have an on-set comfort monitor for your talent showing them exactly what is in the virtual screen. This setup has worked well for me on several projects with Virtual Sets.
mark2020  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 9:22:02 AM(UTC)
mark2020

Originally Posted by: matkeane Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, like DWAM says, if you assign a Mix input to your Virtual Set screen in the multiview layer, you can then use the Mix transitions. It also means you can hand off switching of the virtual screen to a colleague if you have a lot going on and, if you have an external output free, you can send the Mix to it and have an on-set comfort monitor for your talent showing them exactly what is in the virtual screen. This setup has worked well for me on several projects with Virtual Sets.

I hit the issue that the OP did, and between setting up for single operator and under the time constraint to get it done and ready for demo to different people (relatively fast interchangeability is a plus of virtual sets), I just decided to make more than one set and have my stream to indicate in orange 'not' to change multiview inputs when a given set is live.

That way the setup is done in advance. You can cycle sets while live, with varying transitions, and still replace set components off-air if necessary.

Just curious, how have you set up the external output as a confidence monitor? I'm running on a [not insignificantly sped'd] laptop and already offload things to another PC to avoid extra CPU load brought on by external monitors. I've not quite reached the need, but an HDMI splitter on an already in-use fullscreen output is something I've considered.
matkeane  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 9:37:28 PM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Even in single-operator projects, I still find the Mix quite useful - and I often end up with one streamdeck to control the main Mix, and my smaller stream deck just for switching sources in Mix 2 going to the virtual screen.

On larger projects, I usually use a desktop machine with Blackmagic SDI cards for I/O. In my experience, external outputs tend to be more stable than fullscreen outputs. Although I try to avoid doing it when live, alt-tabbing between apps seems to occasionally upset Windows enough to make the fullscreen outputs flicker, while external SDI outputs remain solid. But yeah, from a laptop, you could just use a HDMI splitter to feed a comfort monitor.
mark2020  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2021 3:46:33 AM(UTC)
mark2020

Originally Posted by: matkeane Go to Quoted Post
Even in single-operator projects, I still find the Mix quite useful - and I often end up with one streamdeck to control the main Mix, and my smaller stream deck just for switching sources in Mix 2 going to the virtual screen.

On larger projects, I usually use a desktop machine with Blackmagic SDI cards for I/O. In my experience, external outputs tend to be more stable than fullscreen outputs. Although I try to avoid doing it when live, alt-tabbing between apps seems to occasionally upset Windows enough to make the fullscreen outputs flicker, while external SDI outputs remain solid. But yeah, from a laptop, you could just use a HDMI splitter to feed a comfort monitor.

I'm rather SDI limited, but ultimately the extra overhead and ambiguity, multiple-output wise, on what can be done with limitations on some of the versions I'm looking at has me balancing load and version options.

What does seem to give me what I need is NDI PGM out to double recording+streaming on a desktop and feed Zoom or the like locally. I've only tried fullscreen and not external out, but it seems stable so far with NDI input plus many others.