logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
logan1177  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2020 2:29:44 AM(UTC)
logan1177

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm having a consistent issue with an audio input into vMix developing a digital stutter/glitch after 30+ minutes of use. This has happened on 3 different laptops (all decent Alienware). Here's a sample of the issue...
https://drive.google.com...MtwHz86/view?usp=sharing

- I use a small format mixer with an output to a PreSonus 26c connected to my Alienware laptop as an audio input for a given vMix session.
- I often use light settings on the compressor in vMix audio settings to handle peaks (I'm suspect of this now)
- It happens when I'm recording the session...or just publishing the output to zoom or some external source
- It's happened across multiple laptops
- I ordered another PreSonus as this could be the culprit given the laptop independence...but I'm suspect of that compressor effect as well because I use it quite often (dare I say every time?)

It's resolved by simply removing the audio input and re-adding it...but this is not convenient when you are in the middle of a high stakes zoom call or even worse recording an important program and you are not recording a backup (I know I know).

Anyone else have this issue? Lordy I feel like a fool when this issue pops up. It's happened twice now during really important moments and I can't let it happen a third time.

Thank you for your time!

raugert  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2020 3:11:05 AM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

Was thanked: 309 time(s) in 176 post(s)
It doesn't sound like a compressor issue but possibly a sample or bit rate mismatch ?? Is your Presonus set to the same sample and bit rate as vMix ?

(taken from page 40 of vMix User Guide)

Master Sample Rate
Specify the master sampling rate to use for all audio mixes including the vMix Audio device. Either 44.1khz or 48khz are supported.

Master Bit Rate
Specify the master bit rate to use for all audio mixes including the vMix Audio device. Either 16bit or 32bit are supported.
NOTE: 32bit is not supported by most recording formats.

Recording Audio
Select the audio source to use in recordings, external output and streaming.
This should be vMix Audio by default.
thanks 1 user thanked raugert for this useful post.
logan1177 on 12/10/2020(UTC)
logan1177  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2020 3:41:20 AM(UTC)
logan1177

United States

Good thought...and I have faced a sample/bit-rate challenge before. The challenge here is...it works perfectly for a while...20 minutes...2 hours...and then it begins to glitch.
caspy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2020 6:20:42 PM(UTC)
caspy

Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Greetings!

Friends of mine have got the same issue few days ago. After a while (random) after vMix restart sound start clicking. Restarting vMix helps for some time, but then start to click again.
Most of cases observed with UMC404HD, but also noticed from virtual cable and SRT inputs.
Everything is set to 48000kHz.
CPU/GPU - less then 20%.
admin  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2020 7:22:52 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4159 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Hi,

We strongly advise against changing the audio settings in vMix. This is not related to the issue.
Please make sure you have the latest vMix installed first, and second check what 3rd party applications you have running, if any that connect to vMix.
There have been bugs fixed in the past where 3rd party apps can cause slow memory leaks leading to things becoming unstable after some time.

Failing that, please send us a support report and drop us an email.
https://www.vmix.com/contact-us.aspx

Regards,

Martin
vMix
logan1177  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 3:14:20 AM(UTC)
logan1177

United States

Latest drivers and vMix always used. This issue has happened cross multiple machines running vMix.

I have ordered a new PreSonus 26c to try with my setup as maybe it's an issue with the hardware. It's too important of an issue to solve to consider that the convertor is bad.

I will say this...it consistently begins to happen "over time" (30+ minutes)...and I had a video project yesterday where I consistently recorded over a 2+ hour time frame with NO audio issues. The only difference is I did NOT use the vMix audio compressor to manage peaks...and I had no issues.

So now I'm back to looking at the "in-house" compressor effect within vMix. I'm not convinced this thing is reliable. Not sure if caspy user below utilized this.
caspy  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 8:36:24 AM(UTC)
caspy

Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: logan1177 Go to Quoted Post
Latest drivers and vMix always used. This issue has happened cross multiple machines running vMix.

I have ordered a new PreSonus 26c to try with my setup as maybe it's an issue with the hardware. It's too important of an issue to solve to consider that the convertor is bad.

I will say this...it consistently begins to happen "over time" (30+ minutes)...and I had a video project yesterday where I consistently recorded over a 2+ hour time frame with NO audio issues. The only difference is I did NOT use the vMix audio compressor to manage peaks...and I had no issues.

So now I'm back to looking at the "in-house" compressor effect within vMix. I'm not convinced this thing is reliable. Not sure if caspy user below utilized this.

Absolutely the same, but even more simple.

Clean win10 20h2, fresh drivers, fresh vMix (default settings).
Any audio source (umc, vb-cable, srt).
and... random "over time": sometimes minutes, sometime hours, and even days.

problem seems to appear about a 1.5 month ago.
jumping render time and audio clicks. ;(
kgoodyer  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 9:32:27 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I suffered from this for several months - it drove me crazy, tried 10's of different audio interfaces and it was the same on all of them. The solution was crazy.

I noticed the GPU memory was maxing out. It turned out to be an XMAL title that was causing the problem. Crazy I know!

The good news was that GT graphics were just being introduced at the time, and porting all my graphics to GT solved all my sound issues.

Its a long shot I know, but if you have any old legacy XMAL titles, try disabling them, and anything else you can use to reduce your GPU memory.

I found that if my GPU mem went much above 70% i was at risk of the sound cracking up, only a reboot would solve things.

mtone  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 3:49:08 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
there are some things about the way vmix handles audio which i wonder about..

firstly you are able to select multiple different audio interfaces to be used together at the same time.. this should be a problem because different interfaces (by default) do not have wordclock between them to remain in sync.. i imagine the affects of this may differ depending on each manufacturers drivers or other factors but ultimately you wont see any professional DAWs that let you use two different audio interfaces at the same time because of this clocking reason.. vmix does not have this restriction so i wonder how does it get around this scenario ? if it doesnt do anything and just pays no attention then that is quite possibly a source of audio problems..

as a test it would be worthwhile to try using only one audio device.. if you have USB interface you are using for mics/speakers but you are also using onboard audio for headphones, try to deselect the onboard audio and see if that makes any difference.. it may or may not help but the wordclock question remains and i would be interested to know how that is handled..

I also wonder why 960 samples for a buffer ? that is very much non standard setting.. the normal intervals are 512, 768, 1024 etc.. audio drivers in theory should be able to handle this but again no pro audio software will use 960 so its possible that some drivers have been written in ways that only expect standard intervals and therefore 960 may cause compatibility issues ? this is speculative but there seems to be little or no benefit using 960 instead of using 1024.. there is not much difference in latency and 1024 would probably reduce possibility of weird problems..

Not sure if these things are the source of the OPs problem but the stuttering example in the clip is what i would expect if they were..
mntechnogeek  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2020 11:38:04 PM(UTC)
mntechnogeek

United States

One more possibility. It's more an anecdotal thing, but acquaintances who did a fair number of podcasts experienced issues with USB audio interfaces after a period of time...typically about 30 minutes. If they disconnected and then reconnected the USB cable on their audio interface, their audio would be fine immediately and behave normally for at least the next 30 minutes or more.

It might be worth trying disconnecting/reconnecting the USB just as another troubleshooting step to see if there's any effect. YMMV.