logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ando73  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2020 2:48:28 PM(UTC)
Ando73

Groups: Registered
Australia

Hey All,

We are doing a live stream with multiple guest singers calling into our vMix production using vMix call who will be singing live on the night. The problem I am having is that a singer has the following set up below.

PC (backing track) -> mixer -> Mobile Phone -> vMix production

From his Mobile Phone, he launches Google Chrome and goes to the vMix call URL given to him and dials into the vMix production. When doing this, I can hear his singing voice loud and clear but the music from his backing track is very faint. However, when he uses the same set up to go directly to Facebook Live, everything works fine and his vocal and backing track all sound loud and clear. It's only when he is using vMix call that we can not replicate the same audio quality as seen on Facebook Live. Basically, the audio of the backing track is very faint when using vMix call. What's going on here? With the same set up but streaming to different places - why is this yielding different audio quality? How can we fix this, either through vMix or is it an issue on his end?

Thanks
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2020 6:41:02 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Make sure he has "auto gain" disabled. Use advanced.vmixcall.com instead of regular one, for easy access to this setting option
lestra  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2020 7:22:50 AM(UTC)
lestra

Saint Kitts And Nevis

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
vMix video call audio is really bad. Why Auto gain and echo cancellation are not disabled by default? And why we cannot fill out name for guest on production side? It is nightmare to guide guest to do all that. It is much easier to get guest via skype, viber or zoom into vmix and get decent audio quality. Please vMix, we need simple one tap/click solution for guest and better audio quality. Thanks.
mavik  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2020 6:58:52 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
vMixcall is webRTC based and runs in the browser, is install free. With all the pros and cons this way provides. Skype and co are installed programs which allow more freedom in the usage. This can result in better quality.
If you don't like vMixcall's approach feel free to use other tools. I see a place for vmixcall though, even knowing it's not the highest quality possible.
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2020 9:35:09 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
It is nightmare to guide guest to do all that

I personnally think it's a pleasure to help people get the best quality... Maybe you should consider another job if you don't like to make things as good as possible. It's what video production is all about: fighting and mastering bad light conditions, capturing audio in a room that is not designed for it, getting the perfect shot in a place that is too small or make dull people look as if they are used to shooting. If it were easdy, it would be boring! What makes a difference is YOU !

Quote:
vMix video call audio is really bad

vMix uses Opus codec which is of the very best for such low bandwidth audio transport.
I guess you make vMix responsable for your guests not using professional equipments like cheap, even sometimes crappy, microphones and not using in-ear monitoring to get rid of echo and so on.
Plug a pro microphone to vMixCall, make sure all requirements are respected and you will realize that vMixCall produces good audio quality...
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
elvis55 on 12/7/2020(UTC)
lestra  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2020 4:33:45 AM(UTC)
lestra

Saint Kitts And Nevis

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for responses. I am using Zoom H2N on my side and guests are on their laptops and phones with headphones. vMix is great tool, I am just asking for those little updates.