logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PIWright  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 1:04:23 AM(UTC)
PIWright

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Hi All,

We are increasingly working with a separate sound mixer operator and want to work in a more traditional TV gallery way where the sound op can tweak the sound separate to the main programme which is being run by the director. We have been using the Akai APC 40 as a midi controller but it would be really useful for them to be able to tweak sound, add VST, check levels etc without bothering the main screen and the director. Is there a way to run a separate Vmix instance to do this? Also very interested in how the Xtouch by Behringer would perform in a vmix set up but so far have found little information on this.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Peter
raugert  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 2:14:34 AM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

Was thanked: 309 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Have a look at the vMix panel Builder app. https://forums.vmix.com/...in-Android-tablets-iPads

It has faders and VU meters and can adjust any parameters available in the vMix API. It can also run on multiple platforms to control your vMix instance. Many folks are using the app for this purpose.
thanks 1 user thanked raugert for this useful post.
PIWright on 11/22/2020(UTC)
PIWright  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 4:35:42 AM(UTC)
PIWright

United Kingdom

Hi raugert,

That looks good thanks for the tip. I will certainly take a look. We have been using an Akai APC40 up til now as I like the physical faders but it would be useful to be able to get under the Vmix bonnet from time to time without disturbing the director's PC to maybe tweak the EQ or compressor or adjust gain which I'm not sure the panel builder would help with.
elvis55  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 5:03:24 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked elvis55 for this useful post.
PIWright on 11/22/2020(UTC)
PIWright  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 7:30:21 PM(UTC)
PIWright

United Kingdom

Thanks elvis55 - I see you have looked a this issue but there are no real solutions as yet. I noticed on You Tube that VM panel builder can be used creatively for IFB and pre-fade listen of contributors using NDI audio. Looks very useful.

DWAM  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 8:37:02 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I developped a remote controller for vMix audio using VMPB... It simply takes advantage of the vMix API... And my audio guy can do everything from a remote laptop.

DWAM-Virtual-Mixer.jpg (1,733kb) downloaded 66 time(s).
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
PIWright on 11/23/2020(UTC), raugert on 11/23/2020(UTC)
PIWright  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 3:50:14 AM(UTC)
PIWright

United Kingdom

Thanks DWAM that’s superb. I saw your work and videos on setting up the Akai APC mini which I also have and it really helped get me get started with setting up Vmix so thank you very much for sharing that too.

Is the template for the above something you would pass on? Does it adjust gain as well - I can’t see it on the picture but being able to set up Vmix calls without bothering the director would be very useful.

Cheers,

Peter
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 7:12:23 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Thanks Peter
Quote:
Does it adjust gain as well

Nope. Gain must be adjusted on the audio interface for XLR inputs or on the guests side for vMixCalls
However the use of VST3 plugins helps a lot for volume control for the output
I recommend Waves plugins, they're fantastic.
Use this link to get a 10% discount on all purchase at waves.com : https://www.waves.com/r/fgcn5q
Quote:
Is the template for the above something you would pass on?

I have been thinking about it, but it's really not as easy as it seems because every buttons here relies on my own setups and must be adjusted for each project.

So take this as a proof of concept ! Everything you see here just works perfectly thanks to vMix and VMPB. It can be done (took me 2 or 3 days from scratch) so build your own and have fun !
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
PIWright on 11/23/2020(UTC)
PIWright  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 7:33:50 PM(UTC)
PIWright

United Kingdom

Thanks DWAM,

I’ll check out the Waves VST plugins.

Understand about the templates - I may have some further questions as I build!

Much appreciated.

PIWright  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 10:18:10 PM(UTC)
PIWright

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Peter
Quote:
Does it adjust gain as well

Nope. Gain must be adjusted on the audio interface for XLR inputs or on the guests side for vMixCalls
However the use of VST3 plugins helps a lot for volume control for the output
I recommend Waves plugins, they're fantastic.
Use this link to get a 10% discount on all purchase at waves.com : https://www.waves.com/r/fgcn5q
Quote:
Is the template for the above something you would pass on?

I have been thinking about it, but it's really not as easy as it seems because every buttons here relies on my own setups and must be adjusted for each project.

So take this as a proof of concept ! Everything you see here just works perfectly thanks to vMix and VMPB. It can be done (took me 2 or 3 days from scratch) so build your own and have fun !

Do you have any recommendations on useful VST plugins for Vmix? Thanks
DWAM  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 11:14:25 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

My favorites ones are:

for noise reduction:
- NS1
- W43

For EQ:
- F6

for levels balancing (not as good as an automix but helps)
- MaxxVolume

for mastering
- L1 or L2 (compression and limiter)

NS1/W43 and L1 come as a standard pack on every project to clean inputs and optimize output for stream and record.
MaxxVolume only comes when I have many people on stage and no audio guy
F6 only comes when the provided mics are not good enough (some venues provide low-end/crappy audio equipments)
PIWright on 12/1/2020(UTC)
PIWright  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2020 7:15:11 PM(UTC)
PIWright

United Kingdom

I see you have three VST options for each channel and two on the main output. I’m guessing you have the NS1 in each channel and an eq and compressor. What do you put across the main?

I did a complex awards show yesterday with many Vmix callers joining and leaving and an incoming zoom feed as well as many vts and sound effects. The main issues I am now wrestling with include:

Ability to listen to and set level on Vmix callers before putting them live

Lack of faders to control all audio - combined Akai 40 with Vmix control surface app but frankly it was a bit of a nightmare

Ability to really monitor levels at a separate position - have looked at plugins like PC Emulator which might be the solution in the future but you also need to use it to pre-hear sources.

By the way what is your intercom button.

Thanks for any thoughts you have
DWAM  
#13 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2020 10:21:00 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
I’m guessing you have the NS1 in each channel and an eq and compressor. What do you put across the main?

I keep it simple and lightweight (VST3 plugins can drastically impact CPU load)
For individual inputs : NS1 or W43 + F6 EQ if required
For master output : L1 or L2 (comp and limiter), sometimes MaxxVolume (one of my audio guy likes it a lot)
Quote:
By the way what is your intercom button

Bus G basically which I also interface with several real intercom systems or in-ear monitoring systems depending on the projects... sometimes it's Discord, sometimes it's wireless or wired intercom or even Motorola walkie talkies, sometimes it's a small smartphone app like "Intercom"... It really depends on projects and needs (and budgets). My goal is to unify both vMix needs (remote guests) and crew needs 'cos it's not possible to wear 2 or 3 different systems on your head and when you're directing you don't have time to think about intercom.
PIWright on 12/1/2020(UTC)
streammediaevent  
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2020 6:12:12 AM(UTC)
streammediaevent

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It is easier to use two computers with vmix. The first is responsible for mixing the video signals and the second receives the main video signal already mixed and all the audio inputs separately through NDI. I recommend trying it.
thanks 1 user thanked streammediaevent for this useful post.
PIWright on 11/28/2020(UTC)
PIWright  
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2020 6:45:52 AM(UTC)
PIWright

United Kingdom

Thanks for your thoughts on this - that was the other option I was looking at so it’s useful to hear that it works well for you. I would like more than 8 physical faders to mix the output on but this seems not to be an option with midi controllers.
Paul_WCP  
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2020 8:04:41 AM(UTC)
Paul_WCP

Germany

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PIWright Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

We are increasingly working with a separate sound mixer operator and want to work in a more traditional TV gallery way where the sound op can tweak the sound separate to the main programme which is being run by the director. We have been using the Akai APC 40 as a midi controller but it would be really useful for them to be able to tweak sound, add VST, check levels etc without bothering the main screen and the director. Is there a way to run a separate Vmix instance to do this? Also very interested in how the Xtouch by Behringer would perform in a vmix set up but so far have found little information on this.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Peter

We use Dante and Buses and have our sound op sit on a QL1 and send us back the mixed program feed.
I also suggested this a while back for even better handling https://forums.vmix.com/...-NDI-x-DANTE-Router-Tool

Behringer X-Touch does not work with vMix. Believe me I tried, I programmed a Midi Translator, I mailed support and ultimately gave up - it uses a different protocoll and just does not work the way it could. It was a mistake in a manual that mentioned the X-Touch when they really meant X-Touch One.
thanks 1 user thanked Paul_WCP for this useful post.
PIWright on 11/28/2020(UTC)
PIWright  
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2020 8:07:28 PM(UTC)
PIWright

United Kingdom

Is that true of all Xtouch? I thought the compact and maybe the one would work as the compact is multi-format for control I think