logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
twokingsfilms  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 2:07:47 PM(UTC)
twokingsfilms

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
As always, apologies if this question has been answered. Please point me in the right direction if I'm just asking things that already have answers.

But...

I can't seem to find an answer to what I assume is a simple action. I have three names:

Name A
Name B
Name C

I want Name A to fade on and remain onscreen for 10 seconds. At which point Name B will fade on (replacing A). Then C will do the same to B. And here's the kicker, at the end of C, I want to go back to Name A, thus beginning the loop again. Forever. Or...at least until the broadcast is over.

Everything I seem to find in the forums goes into Image Sequences or worse, typing "loop" points me to how to make things spin. I want to make Text in GT, transition to the next, then the next, then back to the first, all automatically.

Help me Obi-vMix Kenobis...you're my only hope...

Thanks so much in advance!
Babbit  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 4:04:56 PM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
You can use a Data Source with a text file or spreadsheet containing those names. That will give you the option to cycle through that list in a looping fashion that you desire. That's likely the easiest way to go about it.

But... before I typed that answer, I misunderstood the scenario a bit. Rather than wasting it, here it is as well. Who knows, it may work out better for you for a future scenario. The one nice thing about this method is that all 3 bits of info can be contained in one title preset:

You can use the page storyboards in GT title to show the appropriate name and hide the others. This also gives you the opportunity to create transitions between the names. You'll have 3 pages at this point. You'll also probably want to set up transition in for the first title for simplicity's sake.

Add this script to vMix (Settings > Scripting), which will simply loop between these pages:

Code:
sleep(1500) 'accounts for overlay in time

dim yourtitle = "test.gtzip" 'set the input name of the title here
dim delay = 5000 'set time for each description here

do while true
API.Function("TitleBeginAnimation",Input:=yourtitle,Value:="Page2")
sleep(delay)
API.Function("TitleBeginAnimation",Input:=yourtitle,Value:="Page3")
sleep(delay)
API.Function("TitleBeginAnimation",Input:=yourtitle,Value:="Page1")
sleep(delay)
loop

Feel free to run the script at this point to make sure it works. Don't forget to change the variables for your situation.

Add the GT title to your vMix preset, and then add an Overlay In trigger with a ScriptStart function to start the above script. Also add an Overlay Out trigger with a StopScript function to keep things tidy.

It may seem a bit redundant to have a Page 1, but you need it to have appropriate control of animations. With that in mind, you'll probably run into some other peculiarities that I have not thought of yet.

Hope that gets you somewhere.
thanks 1 user thanked Babbit for this useful post.
twokingsfilms on 11/14/2020(UTC)
twokingsfilms  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2020 5:35:37 AM(UTC)
twokingsfilms

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you @Babbit -- your script worked flawlessly. And I also don't know why the obvious solution of data linking with auto next didn't occur to me -- though I prefer the transitions that your script allows. Thank you again!
doggy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 5:40:01 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Not clear what would be wrong using a looping datasource (easy to change the list) and add fading to the title's textbox OnDatachangeIn/Out within the title
Babbit  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 1:48:55 PM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Not clear what would be wrong using a looping datasource (easy to change the list) and add fading to the title's textbox OnDatachangeIn/Out within the title

Application and scalability. Things become quite a bit more convoluted if you have multiple sets of looping titles.

A couple examples:

If you have a show with a few different segments, with different topics. It's much easier to have a single input where you can right-click and change to a different title preset that represents those sets.

Or if you're using it for a guest's name and title. You might have their one name, plus different titles looping (i.e. their job title, then their Twitter handle). Democracy Now does this, I believe. You'll probably have multiple individuals during that show. And once again, it's much easier to have a single input where you can right-click and change to a different person and let the script do its work. It also keeps you have having to enter the guest's names over and over again, which always opens up the possibility for error.

Can you make a new input for each datasource? Sure. But all those individual GT titles are going to eat up resources.

That said, a lot of tickers are essentially looping datasources with fancy datachange effects. It's perfect for that particular application.

Application is always the big test for any solution and ultimately determines its viability.