logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
omo  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 6:58:29 PM(UTC)
omo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
HDMI or sdi input is now becoming a technology of the past.
If you are using ip technology such as ndi or srt, the few pcie lanes are not so important.
ryzen outperforms Intel in every way.

I am waiting for vmix 24 version.
I want to use 8 cameras and 8 replays at FHD 60fps.

However, the officially recommended Intel 18-core system is too expensive.
I want to use a Ryzen 3950x or 5950x system.
I/O will use only 1 pcie 4hdmi capture and all will use srt or ndi.

I don't think there will be any pcie lane problem.
What other hidden problems do I have with buying a Ryzen system?
Thanks for reading.
Vince Beck  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 9:45:35 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
As far as SDI/HDMI becoming a technology of the past, nope. NDI is fine for some things like bringing in Zoom/MS Teams, but it doesn't hold up to SDI when it comes to higher-end content.

First, you have the (huge) issue of latency. That may be fine for streaming, not so much for live events or broadcast. Then quality, while what NDI can pull off is pretty amazing, SDI just blows NDI out of the park in terms of quality.
finally, robustness. SDI is just bulletproof at this point, and with new cabling allowing 4K on a single cable, you're not about to see it go away.
kross  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2020 5:42:25 AM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I'm using a Ryzen 3900x with vMix v24, 6 cameras, 6 replays, 1080p 30 fps. The CPU barely notices that anything is going on. :)

I think a 3950X would be fine. I'm positive a 5950X would do the job with plenty of power to spare.
krunomstv  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2020 2:28:11 AM(UTC)
krunomstv

Croatia

Guys which installation of v24 are you using? I tried 24preview but have problems setting up Replay
aircooled76@gmail.com  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2021 12:03:52 AM(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vince Beck Go to Quoted Post
As far as SDI/HDMI becoming a technology of the past, nope. NDI is fine for some things like bringing in Zoom/MS Teams, but it doesn't hold up to SDI when it comes to higher-end content.

First, you have the (huge) issue of latency. That may be fine for streaming, not so much for live events or broadcast. Then quality, while what NDI can pull off is pretty amazing, SDI just blows NDI out of the park in terms of quality.
finally, robustness. SDI is just bulletproof at this point, and with new cabling allowing 4K on a single cable, you're not about to see it go away.

I can vouch for this, we don't use NDI for anything that is mission critical appart from occasionally bringing in a PC Screen capture of power point. Too many times there is some randomness or jankyness, we do corporate stuff as well as sport and smooth motion is super important.
Capybara  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 10:57:14 AM(UTC)
Capybara

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 1 post(s)
SDI is still by far the standard for professional video production and will be for quite a while.
We have a total of ten cameras and seven utilize SDI and we bought the Blackmagic convertor
boxes to turn the three mirrorless Fuji X-T3s HDMI output into SDI as it's so superior to sucky
HDMI.

NDI has been spotty for us too, we have used it extensively and for certain setups like outputting one
vMix into our main vMix system so we could have 16 vMix callers, it was so so. It seems to randomly have
jerky motion and cause audio glitches too. It's fine for bringing in a laptop feed for a giving platform or
something like that, but for client mission critical work, it's SDI.

Have not yet tried SRT.
Morki  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2021 9:15:43 PM(UTC)
Morki

Germany

Originally Posted by: Capybara Go to Quoted Post

NDI has been spotty for us too, we have used it extensively and for certain setups like outputting one
vMix into our main vMix system so we could have 16 vMix callers, it was so so. It seems to randomly have
jerky motion and cause audio glitches too. It's fine for bringing in a laptop feed for a giving platform or
something like that, but for client mission critical work, it's SDI.

I'm with you that SDI won't go away and latency is superiour to NDI, but we use NDI a lot (besides SDI) and do not have issues. All NDI issues I have seen happened when people use cheap, crappy USB-Ethernet Interfaces to connect to a separate NDI LAN, really outdated network drivers on old machines, or (most of the time) using the wrong network switches.

Too many people seem to just not want to accept that some brands and models simply have bugs and do not work well with NDI. So if you want to use NDI with some prosumer Gigabit switch, just send at least 6-8 NDI streams with lots of movement around your Network with some test setup and multiple PCs and let it run for at least 20 hours (!), then check the statistics. All the cheaper Netgear are known not to work, older hight-class DELL switches have problems, too.

mrbossitaly  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2021 10:06:26 PM(UTC)
mrbossitaly

Italy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kross Go to Quoted Post
I'm using a Ryzen 3900x with vMix v24, 6 cameras, 6 replays, 1080p 30 fps. The CPU barely notices that anything is going on. :)

I think a 3950X would be fine. I'm positive a 5950X would do the job with plenty of power to spare.

Hi Kross,

may you give me/us more feedback about use of ryzen system in your experiences?

I'd like to create a build for 4 input camera UHD/4K but I'm stalling about graphic card to choose and price of intel components too high respect to ryzen.

What about your PC? processor/MB/Ram/Graphics..

Many tnx.

MrBossItaly.