logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Arnemeister  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 5:52:37 AM(UTC)
Arnemeister

Groups: Registered
Norway

Hi
I'm planning a machine for a new setup, where we will use a lot of NDI and some SDI sources, and I have been reading a lot of posts here without getting any clear view on where the bottlenecks are, and what hardware I should get to avoid them - or at least push the limits.

The machine will be rack mounted, most likely based on a Supermicro Workstation chassis, but I really need some input on what hardware to fill it with.
I can see that the Obsidian reference system is based on Intel X299 / i9 10900X and a RTX 2080 gaming card.

Will there be any performance improvements if I change to a faster CPU - more cores, higher clock, higher memory bandwidth.

And GFX - I'm used to working with Quadro cards, but I know the gaming cards are superior for some tasks. What would be the best here?

NIC - NDI is quite hard on network traffic, and I assume the NIC has an impact. Will a regular Intel X540 series 10Gbps card be fine, or will better cards improve NDI performance?

Any good input is highly appreciated

/Arne
New on Vmix
Not that new on HW and Broadcast toys
RobLambert  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2021 1:51:52 AM(UTC)
RobLambert

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have the exact same question and very similar needs. Vmix has worked great for what I need, and my test system has a good AMD 3900 processor with the 1660 ti graphics card but, now that the Vmix has proven to be the right (and I might say, also GREAT) software I neew to spend the money to build a second computer with the best specs for heavy NDI based traffic with lots of image processing.

Pleased, those with more experience, help.

Thank you all.

Rob
Farrell  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2021 5:32:38 PM(UTC)
Farrell

Moldova, Republic Of

While these “Professional”-GPUs do look appealing on paper, sporting promising enterprise-grade support and certified professional drivers, their hefty price tag makes us think twice if we really need one, or if a regular consumer GPU will do. Our readers ask us this question in our forum and in the comments almost every day, and it leads to a popular debate that is also known as “Quadro vs. GeForce GPUs”, which we’ll take a look at in this article.

indigo credit card