logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SteveP  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2020 10:44:05 PM(UTC)
SteveP

Groups: Registered

I have been using VMIX for a couple of years without incident. We stream on YouTube every day. Recently I have added NDI studio monitor (as part of NDI tools 4.0) latest version as an alternative for people inside the network to view the broadcast without having to go to YouTube and locate our channel. Now within a few minutes or seconds of someone on the network opening NDI Studio monitor and accessing the feed the broadcasting computer crashes and restarts ending the broadcast. My question is has anyone seen this issue and figured out a fix? I would love to use NDI Studio monitor for other things but at this point I can't. Oh btw it's not just while streaming to YouTube. I also started a local broadcast inside the network and within a couple of minutes of someone connecting using NDI Studio monitor that computer crashed as well so I can't say it is local to one computer that I am broadcasting from.

Both computers more than meet the standards for running VMIX.

Thank you in advance.
SteveP  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2020 1:23:43 AM(UTC)
SteveP

I ran more testing and this is what I discovered. You not only need to change the security settings to give everyone admin rights to NDI studio but you also have to make the user a local admin on the computer. Without either the computer that is broadcasting will crash once someone on another computer even opens NDI studio. Since for security reasons I cannot give local admin rights to every user on the network unless there is a work around this program is totally useless to me. Which is a bad thing because I had high hopes for it. Again if anyone knows the work around please pass it on and I will try.
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2020 3:04:24 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
NDI is a protocol for "production", meaning people using dedicated gear with full admin rights.
NDI is definitely not a protocol to be used for simple "viewers" on a network. Bandwidth and CPU power requirements clearly indicate this.

Check other protocols if you want to provide your local network with the ability to watch your productions. You could for example have your own streaming server on your network (check "Mist") or simply use a cheap external encoder that will broadcast your vMix show on the LAN using more adequate protocols (Multicast, TS, HLS) which are designed specifically for distribution.
elvis55  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2020 3:30:00 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
VLC media player and SRT
In VLC - network stream / network e.g. srt: //192.168.1.20: 10000
In vMix - Type: Listener - Port: 10000

(192.168.1.20 network address of vMix PC)

mavik  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2020 11:56:15 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
If the network supports it I would go multicast with NDI.