logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smaney  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2020 11:57:45 AM(UTC)
smaney

Groups: Registered
Australia

I thought i'd share our setup we are trialing as it may be of use to others.

I assist in a small school theatre where we are lucky enough to have some really nice state of the art equipment including nice audio, lighting and projection. During this pandemic, we purchased vMix HD so we could do some streaming ect. Luckily, we only closed for a short time so I decided to try using vMix in other ways.

So.....

We setup vMix on our operations computer where we generally play music, sound effects and projections (Loops or video). The music play software is no longer supported so we looked at alternatives. Why not use vMix?

We've setup vMix to play music and video files with Fullscreen going to the Projector. Once we add all audio and video files to vMix, we create a playlist. From our lighting console (GrandMA2), we purchased a cheap midi dongle that plugs into vMix and we simply create a midi shortcut that triggers "PlayNext" in the playlist to incorporate music or projections into our shows or concerts.

Equipment used;
Grand MA2 Lighting console
I7 Dell Computer with vMix.
Midi Dongle ($30 Jaycar Electronics - Australia)
15k Projector.

Setting up a suitable playlist and triggering it from the lighting console is such a simple task and vMix now has a totally new use for us!

Thanks Team vMix.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2020 5:27:22 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Thanks for this feedback! I truly believe vMix can be very effective for such needs, especially if like you here, lights can be handled independently (even though I guess scripts could be used to control DMX too).

Btw, I saw another post of yours where you mentioned using vMix as a replacement for MultiPlay and also asked for alternatives for Windows (QLab being Mac only). So you might want to check : https://www.showcuesystems.com/cms/
Metroplex Mobile Studio  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2021 1:00:20 PM(UTC)
Metroplex Mobile Studio

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Smaney, you could also play songs and videos using "LIST".... This way, there is no need for triggers. It goes to next song or video automatically.
MelanieDK  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2023 8:03:44 PM(UTC)
MelanieDK

Australia

Thanks for the information!