logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dave.S  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2020 9:36:18 PM(UTC)
Dave.S

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Using Firefox, a vMix call runs solidly at 1280x720@30 at ~1800kbps on Auto. If I change the Remote Guest Video Bandwidth to say 800, then the call manager shows this has happened.

Using Chrome and Edge with everything else the same, a vMix call mostly sits at 640x360@15-30 at 80-250kbps, occasionally moving up to 960x540 or down to 480x270 but without a corresponding change in bandwidth usage.

With all browsers, call manager reports negative packets lost, approximately equal to resent packets. This begs the question - is the client getting a bit trigger happy with resending packets?

Results at beta.vmixcall.com are the same. The camera, a Logitech HD C615, reports as supporting 1920x1080 in all browsers. Remote site speed is 100/10Mbps, vMix site speed is 100/30Mbps and all of that bandwidth was made available during tests. Client computer is a PC running win10, i7-9700K, NVIDIA RTX2060. Chrome utilisation during call is 5% CPU / 2% GPU.

I think I should be able to have a 1280x720@30 call running on any browser where the conditions clearly should allow it and even an option for higher resolutions. I am not interested in suggestions to edit the browser configs to achieve this as I cannot expect guests to follow complex instructions and even have the appropriate access.

Thanks,

Dave
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2020 3:49:08 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dave.S Go to Quoted Post
I think I should be able to have a 1280x720@30 call running on any browser where the conditions clearly should allow it and even an option for higher resolutions.

You plainly don't appreciate the reality of WebRTC or the very real differences between browsers.

Most WebRTC applications don't support beyond 720p30 since there's no way to ensure that a webcam, the presumed image source, can do that. Some do, many don't. When a browser fails to configure a webcam it falls back to VGA, 640x480p30.

Your C615 is a USB 2 webcam that only supports 1080p30 when MJPEG is used to encode the stream over the USB link.

Browser bandwidth estimation varies a lot, even from release to release.

Dave.S  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2020 4:10:33 AM(UTC)
Dave.S

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post
I think I should be able to have a 1280x720@30 call running on any browser where the conditions clearly should allow it and even an option for higher resolutions.

You plainly don't appreciate the reality of WebRTC or the very real differences between browsers.

Most WebRTC applications don't support beyond 720p30 since there's no way to ensure that a webcam, the presumed image source, can do that. Some do, many don't. When a browser fails to configure a webcam it falls back to VGA, 640x480p30.

Your C615 is a USB 2 webcam that only supports 1080p30 when MJPEG is used to encode the stream over the USB link.

Browser bandwidth estimation varies a lot, even from release to release.

Edge, Chrome and Firefox show support for my webcam at 1280x720 and at 1920x1080 via the WebRTC Troubleshooter https://test.webrtc.org/

I understand a little of how WebRTC works. Notice that I said Chrome changed resolution up to 960x540, so clearly a fallback default of 640x480 was not the situation there. For now, not wishing to derail the thread into the realms of higher resolution availability, let's just try to work on getting Chrome and Edge working at 1280x720. Where do you think the issue lies?

Thank you for your response.

Dave
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2020 12:09:08 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)

Edge, Chrome and Firefox show support for my webcam at 1280x720 and at 1920x1080 via the WebRTC Troubleshooter https://test.webrtc.org/

All that means is that a WebRTC application might opt to use that resolution. Not that it will. Most don't since they don't actually perform that same test when trying to configure the camera.

I understand a little of how WebRTC works. Notice that I said Chrome changed resolution up to 960x540, so clearly a fallback default of 640x480 was not the situation there.

Ok, so the camera is being correctly configured. It's not falling back to the older norm. That means that something about the browsers environment is constrained.

Perhaps chrome://webrtc-internals might reveal something?