logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BHenry  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2020 3:22:01 AM(UTC)
BHenry

Groups: Registered
United States

I am considering building out a system for use now with virtual events as well as building for the future of hybrid events. Using the reference systems and recommended hardware, I have two comparably priced yet rather different approaches, and I'm pondering which route to take.

System 1: Rack Mount Self Build
iStar 4RU Case
ASUS Prime X299 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i9-10900X 3.7 GHz LGA 2066
G.Skill Ripjaws V series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 4000 RAM
Crucial 1TB M2 SSD
Corsair Hydro Series 120mm Radiator
Gigabyte AORUS GeFroce RTX 2080 Ti GPU

System 2: Laptop Portable
Alienware m15 R3 Gaming Laptop
Processor
10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10875H (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6 with Max-Q Design
Memory
32GB DDR4 2666MHz
Hard Drive
1TB PCIe M.2 SSD
LCD
15.6" OLED UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz 1ms 400-nits DCI-P3 color gamut + Tobii Eyetracking technology

Obviously, with the Rack Mount version I get a beefier CPU and GPU. The MB I specified also has the capability to run multiple GPUS (not sure if that is an advantage to vMix or not) as well as add in a capture card for local video sources. Of course, with a TB3 enclosure, I could just as easily add the capture card to the laptop as well. I also get a 5GB LAN port on the self build vs the 2.5G on the laptop.

Use case (currently) is primarily vMix calls with up to 3 streams and a single record. Alternately, I use Zoom over NDI from outboard computers, or use an external computer for PowerPoint Graphics, so I can use Presenter View locally. I expect in the future to use vMix to replace my current small ATEM system, so will need camera capture as well as audio input and output, most likely with a ASIO interface so I can have individual control in vMix.

I like the rack mount for power and expandability, while I like the laptop for out of the box ease of use as well as portability. Cost wise, these to systems are within a few hundred dollars (I already have a Windows license I can move to the rack mount build, as well as monitors and peripherals), so given my use scenarios, which one would you choose and why?
Pepsi(~)  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 6:13:00 AM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
The rackmount is a nice system. But if this your main system I would go with 2 ssd modules in a raid 0 set and an additional ssd for recrdings (if needed)
The Alienware is nice. It is light weighted in comparison of his big brother. Keep in mind that the 2080 is limited in that system. If you really want to use the 2080 I would advice to go with the Area 51m. That has an option to go with 3 drives.