logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David Oxe  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2020 1:29:06 AM(UTC)
David Oxe

Groups: Registered
Sweden

Hi,

we have a problem with intermittent frame drops on our systems which affect our productions.

We have 3 machines, all showing similar problems.

Machine 1: HP Z4 G4, Intel Xeon W-2225 (4-core), Nvidia Quadro P2200 5 gb, 32 gb ram, 1 tb M.2 NVMe SSD, Blackmagic Decklink Pro 8k
Machine 2: HP Z4 G4, Intel Xeon W-2125 (8-core), Nvidia Quadro P2200 5 gb, 32 gb ram, 1 tb M.2 NVMe SSD, Blackmagic Decklink Pro 8k
Machine 3: Dell Optiplex 7071, Intel i7-9700 (8-core), Nvidia Geforce 2080ti, 32 gb ram, 1 tb SSD, Blackmagic Decklink Duo

All machines running Desktop Video 11.6.0, 3 1080p50 SDI in, 1 1080p50 SDI out. vMix 4k version 23.0.0.64
The machines have been optimized as stated in the knowledgebase, but I've also optimized them using Watchout Optimization guide, removing unneccesary software and changing power settings to use all power available. Also turned off all power saving modes for the PCI-E slots.
Render times around 1-6 ms.
Streaming H.264 6mbit
Recording H.264 20mbit

Sometimes we have very little problems, around 20 dropped frames (Renderer dropped frames) on the SDI inputs, and some dropped frames on the external out over the course of 2-3 hours. Sometimes we get 200 dropped frames in 30 minutes.
This is a big problem since the audio will stutter when the machine drops frame.

What can we do to prevent this? It feels like I've tried everything! Sometimes it works good, sometimes we have huge problems. Last week we did a 2-day event where the second day was a copy of the first day. First day went perfect, second day we had a lot of dropped frames in the last 2 hours.

Before we purchased vMix we were running Livestream Studio with absolutely no frame drops at all.

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this!

Best regards,
David
dasmedienatelier  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 6:25:11 PM(UTC)
dasmedienatelier

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: David Oxe Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Sometimes we have very little problems, around 20 dropped frames (Renderer dropped frames) on the SDI inputs, and some dropped frames on the external out over the course of 2-3 hours. Sometimes we get 200 dropped frames in 30 minutes.
This is a big problem since the audio will stutter when the machine drops frame.

What can we do to prevent this? It feels like I've tried everything! Sometimes it works good, sometimes we have huge problems. Last week we did a 2-day event where the second day was a copy of the first day. First day went perfect, second day we had a lot of dropped frames in the last 2 hours.

We are having the same trouble: dropped frames (sometimes around 200-300) after about an hour of streaming. I have a nagging feeling that this started when we changed our GPU from a 1070 to a GTX1660 TI.

As far as I can remember I used to have no dropped frames at all in the past. Even when streaming and recording on the same machine 6 hours and more.

I was able to reduce the number of drops (nearly to 0) by using a separate PC for streaming and recording: PC 1 (Z420) is now handling the switching / video production and the output is send via external (SDI) to a laptop (Acer Nitro5 i7) which is only used for streaming and recording. You could try using NDI output instead of SDI.

It also helps a lot to close Chrome, if it's running in the background on the same machine which is doing the video production.

Knut
Vince Beck  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2020 1:24:30 PM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I had the same problem and had to go through the BIOS and turn off every CPU power management feature, not sure how much HP will allow, but that fixed all my issues.

Here’s a list: https://resource.focusri...pc-for-low-latency-audio
rimaarias  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2020 8:12:06 PM(UTC)
rimaarias

United States

Thanks for everyone’s help!