logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Simsyuk  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2020 12:09:02 AM(UTC)
Simsyuk

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Hi all, this is more of a tech question rather than a vMIx one, but I am hoping someone can guide me in the right direction.

I use vMix to stream productions to support those suffering from mental health and suicidal tendencies, everything I do is for free and I make no money or profit from my little venture. With that in mind I pay for everything out of my own pocket and my budget is tight, after using vMix for a while I’ve noticed that when I broadcast for around 50 minutes, I get CPU warnings.

I decided to upgrade my pc to a better spec machine, as I couldn’t afford the high spec vMix recommends, so I’ve gone within my budget, and I was hoping this would reduce the warnings.

Usually I have one guest via Skype (just starting to try vMix Call) with no other inputs apart from the lower thirds, intro and outros.

My new machine:
Intel i7-10700k CPU @ 3.80Ghz, 8 Core
Z490 ROG Maximus XII HERO (Wi-Fi)
GeForce 1660ti 6GB (plan to update this when I can)
32GB RAM
Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB
Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB
AverMedia Live Gamer DUO

FROM

Old Machine:
Intel i7-3770k CPU @3.50Ghz, 4 Core
Gigabyte Z77X-UD4H
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (4GB)
16GB RAM
Crucial 500GB SSD
Seagate 500GB HDD
AverMedia HD Capture C985
R/W Blu-Ray Drive
Wi-Fi Adapter
Bluetooth Dongle

I’ve copied my vMix settings from my old pc to the new one including my streaming settings which are H264 1080p 4.5mbps, AAC 128bps. My internet speed is 350mb download and nearly 40mb upload. After installing all the latest drivers and updates for Windows 10 Home (no other apps are installed just vMix) I decided to test - OMG what issues I had! Within 10 minutes of broadcasting/testing I had nothing but CPU warnings and slow streaming issues to a private Facebook page.

I have used the same presets as before; in fact, the only difference is the hardware upgrade.
Would anyone have any suggestions where to start looking for the issue please? Thanks in advance.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2020 7:22:36 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
First, try a test with vMix and Skype running.

Open Task Manager in Windows. See what Apps are running under Processes and how much CPU & Memory they are using. Go to the Startup Tab, and see if any unnecessary programs are enabled such as OneDrive, Cortana, etc.

What anti-virus software do you run?

Simsyuk  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2020 11:58:27 PM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

Thanks for reply and offering some advice, I've attached two images taken with the error warnings.

I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall/antivirus. Used it in my last machine without any issues.

vMix-Error.jpg (43kb) downloaded 5 time(s). vMix-Process.jpg (229kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
SportsNetUSA.net  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2020 2:41:17 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
From the vMix Knowledge Base
Quote:
For the best performance with vMix it is recommended that all 3rd party security and anti-virus software be uninstalled
and the built in Windows Defender anti-virus be enabled only.

https://www.vmix.com/knowledgeba...nners--security-software

Try running your test with vMix and Skype, when the you get a CPU Overloaded message or when Total CPU is at 75%, then turn off ZoneAlarm. Or run the test without Zone Alarm on.

Quote:

ZoneAlarm Firewall is on by default after you install ZoneAlarm software. You can turn it off and on, as necessary, for example, if you need to troubleshoot a connection.

To turn the Firewall on or off:

Click in the ANTIVIRUS & FIREWALL panel of the ZoneAlarm software client.
Move the Advanced Firewall ON/OFF slider to ON or OFF position, as necessary.

If the ZoneAlarm Firewall is on, the Advanced Firewall status line shows the message Blocks invasions and hacker activity, and the main status bar shows the message YOUR COMPUTER IS SECURE.

If the ZoneAlarm Firewall is off, the Advanced Firewall status line shows the warning Your firewall is not properly set, and the Fix Now button below. The main status bar shows the warning YOUR COMPUTER IS AT RISK, and the Fix Now! button next to it. Click one of the Fix Now! buttons to turn the Firewall on again.

I used to use ZoneAlarm years ago, but the software seemed to use more and more resources as they updated it.
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
Simsyuk on 10/6/2020(UTC)
Simsyuk  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2020 2:55:17 AM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: SportsNetUSA.net Go to Quoted Post
From the vMix Knowledge Base
Quote:
For the best performance with vMix it is recommended that all 3rd party security and anti-virus software be uninstalled
and the built in Windows Defender anti-virus be enabled only.

https://www.vmix.com/knowledgeba...nners--security-software

Try running your test with vMix and Skype, when the you get a CPU Overloaded message or when Total CPU is at 75%, then turn off ZoneAlarm. Or run the test without Zone Alarm on.

Quote:

ZoneAlarm Firewall is on by default after you install ZoneAlarm software. You can turn it off and on, as necessary, for example, if you need to troubleshoot a connection.

To turn the Firewall on or off:

Click in the ANTIVIRUS & FIREWALL panel of the ZoneAlarm software client.
Move the Advanced Firewall ON/OFF slider to ON or OFF position, as necessary.

If the ZoneAlarm Firewall is on, the Advanced Firewall status line shows the message Blocks invasions and hacker activity, and the main status bar shows the message YOUR COMPUTER IS SECURE.

If the ZoneAlarm Firewall is off, the Advanced Firewall status line shows the warning Your firewall is not properly set, and the Fix Now button below. The main status bar shows the warning YOUR COMPUTER IS AT RISK, and the Fix Now! button next to it. Click one of the Fix Now! buttons to turn the Firewall on again.

I used to use ZoneAlarm years ago, but the software seemed to use more and more resources as they updated it.

Thanks, funny you say that, I did turn off ZA at the beginning of the show to see if that was causing a problem and I was reaching 67% CPU but no warnings. I'll test again tonight to see if this is the issue.

Thanks again.
Simsyuk  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2020 7:39:58 AM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

Update, taking on SportsNetUSA.net advice I decided to totally uninstall ZoneAlarm Pro and wow what a difference. Not one error report through-out the whole two hour show (vMix Call did crash though lol so I reverted back to Skype).

Thank you ever so much Sport, I owe you one.

Vmix.jpg (41kb) downloaded 0 time(s). Proccess.jpg (256kb) downloaded 0 time(s).