logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PascalN  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2020 4:49:15 AM(UTC)
PascalN

Groups: Registered
Germany

Hello,

We plan to use vMix with up to 8 NDI HX sources:
4x Cameras (Panasonic cx350)
1x other vMix instance
3x NDI HX 4K PTZ
I only find the information that NDI HX Recording via MultiCorder is not supported...but is there another option?
I have to record any source for postproduction. If someone knows a solution for this, even if it has to be a third party soft or hardware, that would be great!

I would be happy if some can help us with this!

Regards
Pascal
mavik  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2020 5:05:59 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Newtek offers two options.
#1 you can record a single feed with each Studio Monitor App. You would need 8 instances of Studio Monitor then
#2 You can use the paid ISOcorder which records 4 NDI feeds. So you would need two instances of that.

Please remember that usually 4 NDI feeds saturate a 1G link. It might be 5 or 6 with HX (or NDI in lower bitrate) but 8 feeds would be sporty on a 1G link. I strongly would advise to not go for the 8 concurrently.
Other option is 10G networking.
And keep in mind if you record NDI natively the amount of data is hugh as well. Fast and big storage a must have.
And keep in mind that NDI is by default unicast. ingesting 8 feeds into vmix and recording them somewhere else makes 16 NDI feeds. You have to plan your network very carefully.

Feel free to PM me if you wanna have a german talk discussion on the phone.
PascalN  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2020 2:02:44 AM(UTC)
PascalN

Germany

Thank you mavik!

Regards
Pascal
zenvideo  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2020 2:13:46 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
Please remember that usually 4 NDI feeds saturate a 1G link. It might be 5 or 6 with HX (or NDI in lower bitrate) but 8 feeds would be sporty on a 1G link. I strongly would advise to not go for the 8 concurrently.
Other option is 10G networking.
And keep in mind if you record NDI natively the amount of data is huge as well. Fast and big storage a must have.

4 "full" 4K NDI feeds might easily saturate a 1Gb link, but HX can be as low as 25% (or less) of the bandwidth at the same resolution/framerate, so I would be surprised if a 1Gb link couldn't handle 6-8 HX feeds. As always, test for yourself with the type of content and the cameras that you're going to be using, as NDI compression is not necessarily at a fixed data rate. Also, if able to natively record NDI|HX, the data requirement will also be reduced by the same proportion, so storage does not have to be as big or fast either, compared to native recording of full NDI.

Of course the "1x other vMix instance" source won't we NDI|HX, it'll be full NDI, so that needs taking into account in the overall requirements.

Another option to increase bandwidth to the PC doing the recording is to fit a second NIC if it only has a single 1Gb port, to give 2x 1Gb connections to the ethernet switch. NDI traffic can be split (automatically) across multiple ports on a single PC.
PascalN  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2020 3:45:32 AM(UTC)
PascalN

Germany

Hello!

Network Bandwith won`t be a problem because I will provide a 10 Gig Network.
Not sure which Switch we want to use but 10 Gig in case of NDI is safe.

I`m more concerned about anything that will happen on a PC which runs all of this inputs.
Currently we discuss a split of the editing process.
One vMix (Station A) station musst handle up to 7 4K HDMI inputs and 5 USB inputs. As far as I've read until now, this station can then transmit the signal to a second vMix (Station B) station. But I´m currently not sure if this possible for Station A because I can`t find any meaningful data on resource consumption.

Up to 7 NDI-HX Sources are connected to Station B:
4x Panasonic AG-CX350 (NDI-HX) <- Recording via Studio Monitor App...do I need a second PC for this?
2x Sony SRG-X120 (NDI-HX)
1x vMix Station A (NDI or NDI-HX?)

Any hint would be appreciated!

Regards
Pascal
PascalN  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2020 7:12:21 AM(UTC)
PascalN

Germany

Hi there!

Has anyone a recommendation which hardware will be required for a vMix System which is capable of handling 6 to 7 NDI 4K Streams?
I‘m even surprised that the Obsidian reference system should only be capable of handling 4 x 4K NDI streams?!

Regards
Pascal
Axio  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2023 11:42:32 PM(UTC)
Axio

Canada

Hi PascalN,

Have you found a solution for a vMix System capable of handling 6-7 NDI 4K streams?

I too am looking for what to do?

Regards
Rene
PascalN  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2023 11:45:21 PM(UTC)
PascalN

Germany

Hello Axio,

unfortunately not as the project has not progressed.

Regards
Pascal