logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TomCP  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 12:00:03 PM(UTC)
TomCP

Groups: Registered
Australia

Hi All,

Looking for some suggestions,

In Australia (well most of it) we are now moving to a more Hybrid style events. IE a live event, with callers and also being streamed.

One element I am looking for suggestions around, is Vmix call and a PA system in a space such as a hotel Ballroom. (Iv'e read this entire forum!)

Vmix Call seems to struggle a lot with the "echo" of the callers coming from the PA back into the presenters mic. While the internal Mix-Minus of Zoom, Go to Meeting etc seem to work ok.

While V-Mix call does a fine job of mix-minus between callers, is does not seem to deal with the host.

I have tried sending each caller their own mix in v-mix, I have done the mix-minus in the Audio desk.

I understand we can ride the levels on the audio desk, or simply mute the live presenter mic when the caller is speaker. (not great for a back and forth conversation which is the idea)

Or we can attempt to balance the audio and use directionals mics.

Wondering if anyone else has come across any other great solutions? I may be missing something simple

Cheers

mtone  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 5:16:33 PM(UTC)
mtone

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
maybe try using a gate on the presenters mic ? gating a speech mic is never ideal but for this application it might be good enough.. if youve never used this before the trick is getting it set properly..

you want to set threshold on the gate which is low enough so that the PA doesnt trigger it to open but also high enough that it opens quickly when the presenter speaks.. the lower you set the threshold the more it will truncate the first word when the presenter decides to speak again so its about finding the balance.. most gates have settings for attack and release times and some other options which can make the transitions sound more natural..

if your PA isnt too loud at the microphone location (relative to the presenters voice) then you should be able to find the sweet spot with gate thresholds. if you are going to try this, make sure to use a directional mic and if possible have presenter face the speakers so the mic is pointing the opposite direction and try to have them stand as far away from the speakers as possible..