logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
m_elias  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2020 1:57:02 AM(UTC)
m_elias

Groups: Registered
Canada

We use vMix at our church. The music is usually louder then the speaking portions and when I watch the replay or live stream I find it necessary to adjust the volume on my device when we switch between the two. How do others deal with this?
m_elias  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2020 2:29:14 AM(UTC)
m_elias

Canada

I can adjust the presenter's mic louder in the stream but when the musician's mics get used for speaking, it's again quieter in the stream.
kross  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2020 3:01:22 PM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I'm no expert, but since no one else is answering, I'll take a stab.

Have you tried going to the audio settings for that input, and enabling the Compressor? If that doesn't do what you want, you can add VST audio plugins. Look for an auto gain control VST plugin.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2020 6:24:53 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Use an audio guy, a mixer and balance the mix
OR
isolate each audio source as different inputs in vMix so that you have control over the final mix
m_elias  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2020 1:30:48 AM(UTC)
m_elias

Canada

I'll look into those suggestions, thanks.

I'm hoping to make due with the audio guy already mixing for the FOH. I think the issue lies in that as a live venue, we like the music a little louder then speaking and the room allows for that but streaming on a TV doesn't allow for such dynamics.
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2020 2:59:40 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
if you already have an audio guy and audio equipments, just ask him to create an independent mix that suits your needs on the AUX output he's using to feed vMix.
An audio mixer is usually able to handle several mixes at the same time with different levels (one mix for the FOH, another for vMix).
Paul Fuhrmann  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2020 6:58:22 AM(UTC)
Paul Fuhrmann

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
For the ones who do it all in vMIx:

Crate Two internal AudioBusses (enabled) Decide wich is for Speach and wich is for Music.

Route both busses to the master wich is your stream source.

Now you will need VST3 Plugins i recommend waves Plugins I tested a workflow with waves Plugins and all plugins from waves are availible in vst3.

Install on both busses the “playlist rider” plugin and set them to the same amount oft target value (-18LuFs)
Threshold must be tested to set. Longterm is smoother.

This plugin is setting all audio above the threshold to the given target loudness.

So it it will make Speech and Musik loud the same if selecting same target. But music will still sound bigger because it is a mix and not a single voice.

If you want to overcome this set speech to -14 and install on the masterbus an mastering compressor plugin.
Threshold setting that it only affects the small spikes in music but all ways compresses speech.
Keep in Mind that it is complex to make speech sound as thick as an radio station while youbare in a church with a big reverb.
m_elias  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2020 1:53:10 AM(UTC)
m_elias

Canada

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
if you already have an audio guy and audio equipments, just ask him to create an independent mix that suits your needs on the AUX output he's using to feed vMix.
An audio mixer is usually able to handle several mixes at the same time with different levels (one mix for the FOH, another for vMix).

We are using one of our AUX channels for our live stream & recording output and that's where we set the dedicated speaking mics louder to match the music volume. The input feeds into this AUX are also post fader so that if an input needs adjusting higher/lower, it also adjusts the mix for the AUX output. The problems seems to be that the FOH mix is more tolerant or, has a wider range of volume that sounds acceptable to our ears then when listening on a remote device like a phone or TV.

Ultimately, I think we will need to do some training with everyone involved but I will take a look at Paul's suggestion.
Paul Fuhrmann  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2020 2:25:55 AM(UTC)
Paul Fuhrmann

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
So you currently have an FOH guy.

He can do what i told on his desk.
If he have an modern digital mixer he can archieve this by doing what i told in his desk.
He can use compressors to archive a similar sound.
The Desk must work with Mix Groups and Matrix Groups to stack the compressors to the mixes and compress voice and band differently. And then sum both mixes on the matrix channel wich you get.

He also should use a Headphone to listen regularly in the Feed he sends you. For decent Stream audio especially in church two consoles are required only sharing inputs.
Alternatively use a big desk wich is good for two person operating.
This enables the stream the Stream Audio Guy to Focus only on the sound for Stream and is not limited to foh sound and avoiding feedback.