logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
danielbizz  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2020 10:18:56 AM(UTC)
danielbizz

Groups: Registered
Brazil

I have a competition timing system with Photocells and an ALGE TIMING S4 Stopwatch. I also have the TIMY3 version. Both versions have a USB connection and inform the elapsed times of the competitions.

I am finding many difficulties to communicate the timer with VMIX. There is an application that records the timer information in an excel spreadsheet but it is not in real time. I need to manually save the excel file so that it can read on VMIX.

I need an API or some connection that is more direct between the USB timer and VMIX.

Anyone experiencing this problem?
doggy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2020 5:17:39 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Vmix will not be able to communicate with the system directly, you will have to use a external app to read the serial interface

The retrieved data can then be send to your vMix title with a HTTP request from your external app or
You can let your app write and save the retrieved data to and excel file be it is much easier to write to another type of vMix compatible datasource fiel like xml or so
danielbizz  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2020 7:34:06 AM(UTC)
danielbizz

Brazil

Studying more about this timer communication, I saw that I will have to develop an application to be able to extract this information. Unfortunately Excel is not the best solution, because while the program is accessing Excel to write the times, Vmix cannot read the file until I click on save.
This is extremely unpleasant and will not work as quickly as I need it.
I found an application that listens to the serial port and writes a csv file and Vmix can read immediately after communication.

However, the data needs to be processed, because the port reading has some data that I don't care about and VMIX ends up copying all the content.

I'm going to look for an application that makes this communication more focused on what I need.
danielbizz  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2020 7:37:12 AM(UTC)
danielbizz

Brazil

I found surprising little demand for the development of these timing hardware ALGE, FinixLynx, Tag Heuer, when integrating with Vmix. Most sports broadcasts that use a stopwatch to determine winners would need this interface to generate information from TV graphics.

This post may be a reference for future research.
doggy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2020 8:03:06 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Originally Posted by: danielbizz Go to Quoted Post
Studying more about this timer communication, I saw that I will have to develop an application to be able to extract this information. Unfortunately Excel is not the best solution, because while the program is accessing Excel to write the times, Vmix cannot read the file until I click on save.
I found an application that listens to the serial port and writes a csv file and Vmix can read immediately after communication.

However, the data needs to be processed, because the port reading has some data that I don't care about and VMIX ends up copying all the content.

I'm going to look for an application that makes this communication more focused on what I need.

You need to filter more your csv file (an example would have been nice) or write your own application .
You mention an application that reads the serial port so it should be no problem to write one as you already have the serial info needed and can chack what it writes which you could intercept and filter before the actual writing
It's pretty simple overall , we do that for other timing systems that send serial data

Quote:
I found surprising little demand for the development of these timing hardware ALGE, FinixLynx, Tag Heuer, when integrating with Vmix. Most sports broadcasts that use a stopwatch to determine winners would need this interface to generate information from TV graphics.

is why their docs mention the protocols for their serial communications as its simple to pick from it what one needs , hence they make it or they use/pay their complete hard and software for it
danielbizz  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2020 8:08:47 AM(UTC)
danielbizz

Brazil

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: danielbizz Go to Quoted Post

You need to filter more your csv file (an example would have been nice) or write your own application .
You mention an application that reads the serial port so it should be no problem to write one as you already have the serial info needed and can chack what it writes which you could intercept and filter before the actual writing
It's pretty simple overall , we do that for other timing systems that send serial data

I will follow your advice !!!!

Thank you!