logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KRTW  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 1:34:12 AM(UTC)
KRTW

Groups: Registered
Canada

INPUTS
cam1, cam2, cam3, Vcall1, Vcall2, various titles, ONE image, and A series of multiviews

MULTICORDER (All to separate SSDs)
cam1, cam2, cam3, Vcall1, Vcall2, Main

OUTPUTS
Fullscreen 1 - output
Fullscreen 2 - Input20 - (this is to send the Vcall video to a TV for interviewer) Multiview 1.

Output 1 Input 5 -records Vcall1 - since you can't record a Vcall directly, it has to be routed through an output
Output 2 Input 6 -records Vcall2 - same here
Output 3 Input 21
Output 4 Input 22 See below for explanation

Three multiviews that are crucial to this explanation. What I want to do is send multiview 1 which has Vcall1 and Vcall2 - to the interviewer (fullscreen 2 Input20). Then send multiview2 which includes Vcall1 and Interviewer to Vcall2 - and multiview3 which includes Vcall2 and interviewer. This way each person in the production never sees themselves on the screen....and mix minus deals with the audio.

But there's a problem. I am recording or sending all the outputs and have no way to record the main output. There are not enough outputs. Not sure if this is clear...I hope so....but when I select the video source for the call I can only select outputs, and when I go to muticorder I can only select outputs, and when I go to "RECORD" I can only select outputs - and I'm 1 short.

Am I looking at this wrong, or is there a work around?

Any help appreciated.

mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 3:49:48 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Simplify. You can expose sources and outputs as NDI streams on your network. Then record some/all of them using a different computer.

Just be sure that you have adequate bandwidth to support all of the various streams coming/going to your vMix host. Presuming your don't have 2.5/5/10G networking, it can help to use two gigabit links to that machine.
KRTW  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 7:56:30 AM(UTC)
KRTW

Canada

Thank you....I wonder if you can expand on this a bit - or provide a link or a place with more information . I've used NDI only in a limited fashion...

My network is all 1GB. What would I need on the other computer to record an NDI stream. How does a 1920x1080 resolution relate to network traffic? Plus the audio....

mavik  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 7:36:13 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
A single unicast NDI feed is around 150 to 200 mbit/s. In a single 1G network you can have 4 NDI signals securely if there is not much traffic on it.
In vimix settings you can enable NDI output for all inputs
KRTW  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 8:23:11 AM(UTC)
KRTW

Canada

I got the outputs figured out - what I don't understand is what I need to create an NDI source to record to.
Geoff B  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 12:48:34 PM(UTC)
Geoff B

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KRTW Go to Quoted Post
I got the outputs figured out - what I don't understand is what I need to create an NDI source to record to.

vMix Calls can be outputted via NDI without tying up an output. Just tick the box and pick it off anywhere on your network and record it there.
KRTW  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2020 1:16:52 AM(UTC)
KRTW

Canada

Using what? Record using what? A VCR? What software? Is there NDI software that needs to be installed and where do you get it? Is it free? Could I use OBS? There are the missing details that are NOT clear and no one seems to want to explain, even on the Vmix training videos. One part is getting NDI out - "grab it off the network" - again, using what? Maybe this is so simple that you don't understand the question. But I don't know. And would love to find out.

All posts from everybody are sincerely appreciated.

If you could answer the real question, this would be REALLY appreciated.
DaveT  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2020 1:47:09 AM(UTC)
DaveT

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
We have do sessions where we need to record gameplay (coming in as SRT) and vmix calls all ISO. Using the multirecorder for these doesn't fit our needs. We need to be able to be sure to get frame-accurate (e.g 29.97 or 59.94) records to easy editing.

Each system we setup can handle up to 2 players each (2v2). If we need more players, we need another system (this is just to prevent bottlenecking).

Suppose it 2v2. We take in 2 VMIX calls and send 2 SRT (Gameplay) feeds. We then output all those via NDI from VMIX, then use free software from Medialooks (https://www.medialooks.com/products/, scroll to bottom) running in the background that can convert NDI to SDI. We run four instances of this software, telling each one to take an NDI source and output it to a corresponding SDI.

We then take those SDI outs and send it to an Atomos Shogun 7, SUMO19, or a Shogun Inferno (believe this model works fine as well), which can each take up to four feeds and record ISO Pro-Res/DNxHD files in sync.

If we have the need for more players/callers requiring more PCs, we then use the tiny UltraSync Ones to give each recording device timecode to help with sync between each set of records. One UltraSync One is the master, the other(s) are slave (connecting to each other wirelessly).
elvis55  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2020 2:06:18 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Using what? Record using what? A VCR? What software? Is there NDI software that needs to be installed and where do you get it? Is it free? Could I use OBS? There are the missing details that are NOT clear and no one seems to want to explain, even on the Vmix training videos. One part is getting NDI out - "grab it off the network" - again, using what? Maybe this is so simple that you don't understand the question. But I don't know. And would love to find out.

NewTek NDI Monitor
Ordner für Video = Settings - Application - Set Record Path

Bottom left start (red point) there will be a mov. Video file generated.

KRTW  
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2020 6:50:30 AM(UTC)
KRTW

Canada

Finally - thank you.
Geoff B  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2020 12:42:31 PM(UTC)
Geoff B

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Well, it depends what you have available.

You could run another copy of vMix on another PC. Pick off those NDI sources and then record them using multicorder.

You can record in NDI Studio Monitor, which is free software available at ndi.com

You could run OBS on another machine and record it there. Especially helpful if you only have a Mac available.