logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JohnnyBG  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2020 4:22:00 AM(UTC)
JohnnyBG

Groups: Registered

I am using an old laptop for PowerPoints into my vMix computer. It has a VGA output that has a VGA to HDMI converter. I am using an Avermedia PCI card to capture the PPT's. The Avermedia has an HDMI input. This all works well. I have a newer laptop that I would like to use. It only has an HDMI output. When I connect the new laptop with an HDMI cable (no converter needed) the capture card (in vMix) does not see the new laptop.

The HDMI should be hot-swappable, but I have rebooted vMix, both computers, and re-set the input in vMix. What am I missing?

EDIT:
Windows 10, vMix 23-60
New laptop via HDMI to a TV works fine
raugert  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2020 4:55:02 AM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

Was thanked: 309 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Which model of Avermedia PCI card are you using. Is it possible that its an older one that doesn't do 1080 ? If you were converting VGA to HDMI on your old laptop it was probably only doing 720. With your newer laptop its most likely doing 1080. Just a thought...
JohnnyBG  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2020 6:13:00 AM(UTC)
JohnnyBG

The old laptop is connected at 1080. I didn't mention it above but I also tried setting different resolutions in vMix. The capture card is a C985.
https://www.avermedia.com/us/product-detail/C985

Edit:
Here are some more things I have tried and it makes it more confusing to me.
I have the old laptop (VGA to HDMI) connected to the capture card. I connected a sony handycam (1080 with HDMI output)by just switching the HDMI cables (hot-swapping) and both worked(in vMix) without doing anything else.

It seems that the new laptop can output 1080 HDMI and the capture card works with a camera and the old laptop.
I then took the new laptop and connected it to a TV and that worked. I also connected it to a different monitor and that worked.

BTW, when the new laptop is connected, there is just a black screen in vMix.