logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LucaL  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2020 11:38:43 PM(UTC)
LucaL

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

One of my very important client is planning a discussion panel involving 5 speakers.

So i guess it would be the time for me to upgrade my VMIX from 4k to the Pro version so that I could get 8 Vmix callers.

The expectations from an online meeting have now been set pretty high with Zoom and MS teams (in the corporate world anyway),

and to be honest, I am very concerned about the stability and overall quality of Vmix call.

That is true with 4 callers and even more so with 8 people connected.

I'm doing the production directly from home with a 100down and 30up connection.

I beleive that the video tutorials coming from the Vmix team could dig in much much deeper certainly on issues like

the optimum Vmix call settings - network setup, port forwarding trouble shooting etc

I am still hesitant to pull the trigger on another 500USD upgrade...

That being said I don't have many options, but. Vmix is a very good software, I really enjoy working with it, but I feel very uncomfortable with VMIX call.

Please convince me otherwise

givros  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2020 6:04:33 AM(UTC)
givros

Hi
I use it all the time and it is very stable.The only things that some times are a bit frustrating is that.......
  • Both end must have good quality internet and high bandwidth.

• Sometime callers have trouble connecting to servers if they are ussing Iphone or Ipad thai is not upddated correctly
Josemite  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2020 12:31:29 PM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I've done it with 5 users, all connecting from a few hundred miles of me (this might matter). Using 325Mbps Down & 30Mbps Up, with only one stream out to Youtube.

I'm seeing the same sort of bad connection issues I get from Zoom, which usually it is the remote users home WiFi connection causing the problem. Just Zoom is doing something extra to keep the calls connected, like if a callers video freezes on Zoom, we usually can still hear a bit and their video will stagger back in as their connection clears up. Where with Vmix, they seem more often to totally disconnect.

The biggest problem I have, is with feedback. I've played with noise gates & EQ to deal with this, but really it comes down to getting everybody using headphones instead of using their speakers. Which is a problem for panelist, who never learned how to change their basic audio settings, or just don't have headphones handy. It's basically the thing that keeps us on Zoom, as we just can't seem to educate our guest well enough to avoid these issues.

For anybody that didn't know, Vmix has a 60 day full unlocked trial of PRO.

One huge temporary advantage right now with Vmix, is Zoom downgrades the video resolution for everybody after 3 users because of Covid-19, where with Vmix Call that resolution is ultimately up to you.

mgrayeb  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2020 1:31:08 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I've used vMix Call recently with 5 guests simultaneously on an i7-9750 cpu laptop with a nVidia 2060 gpu. I have about 100mbps down and about 30mbps up on my home internet connection.

I've had very good success (considering the limitations of each guest's connections/camera/microphone).

I always do tech checks with each participant in advance and often record dress rehearsals of the shows so that i have a fallback recording if the internet is not cooperating when we plan to go live (e.g. during crazy pandemic times).