logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chrisc300  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2014 11:25:20 AM(UTC)
chrisc300

Groups: Registered

I am in the market to purchase a new laptop for college. We use vMix at my church and are really pleased with it. I also do some video work on the side and would like to use vMix when I record concerts/programs on the road. I am considering one of the Lenovo Thinkpad models or a Dell laptop. Can anyone recommend a good laptop (or specs) for vMix without breaking the bank?
DDOtoo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:14:59 PM(UTC)
DDOtoo

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well, Vmix generally does not use up too much processor power so any reasonable laptop could power it. However you must consider how you will capture your videos. Will you require more than just USB ports? And look out for USB three ports as that will help in quick video transfers
Speegs  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2014 5:57:44 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
chrisc300 wrote:
I am in the market to purchase a new laptop for college. We use vMix at my church and are really pleased with it. I also do some video work on the side and would like to use vMix when I record concerts/programs on the road. I am considering one of the Lenovo Thinkpad models or a Dell laptop. Can anyone recommend a good laptop (or specs) for vMix without breaking the bank?

Strangely enough a very recent Macbook Pro Quad Core does well. It's nice they have two thunderbolt 2 ports. I'm yet to find a native Windows Laptop with the grunt/ports I want. Not to mention a Mac is pretty well built.

Downside, you need to use Bootcamp to run Vmix. If only there was the Macbook Pro hardware setup to run Windows.

I've currently had 3 Full HD Cameras operating on a MacBookPro. Two via USB 3 and magewell capture devices and 1 via BM Mini Recorder. I found two BM Mini Recorders worked but the software was not perfect.

Magewell wasn't something I trusted when I first started out, so the two BM Mini Recorders via thunderbolt and a usb GE adapter was my setup.

So now my ideal setup.

MacBookPro, Quad Core i5 will do, 1 x BM Mini Recorder, 2 x Magewell XI100DUSB-HDMI

Then I guess if you need more you can add thunderbolt to PCIe Chassis, which I'm yet to do (kind of makes things less portable). I like the USB setup as I can take my Magewell devices to any desktop PC with some decent CPU and get use of the capture dongles when I don't need the portability of a laptop.

The SSD in a latest MacBookPro is very quick, so they make quite a good choice hardware wise and lately don't seem to be paying a heap extra for an apple logo on it. They start around $2,200 on special AUD, up to $3,000 for the biggest quad core. They also have pretty good video as well, either the Iris Pro on the cheaper model or a decent Laptop NVidia Chip on the bigger model. I wish they had more usb ports. Use bluetooth for your mouse if you can.

PFBM  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2014 7:08:54 PM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
mac pro ?.....

this is the beast !! :)

http://www.asus.com/us/N...rabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JZ/

has thunderbolt and so on....

4th-gen Intel® Coreā„¢ i7 processor and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX880M 4GB GDDR5 VRAM

Cheers,

PFBM
marierogers07  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2020 5:54:20 PM(UTC)
marierogers07

United States

Originally Posted by: chrisc300 Go to Quoted Post
I am in the market to purchase a new laptop for college. We use vMix at my church and are really pleased with it. I also do some video work on the side and would like to use vMix when I record concerts/programs on the road.

Both options you've mentioned: Lenovo or Dell have a range of laptops suiting your needs for quite a low budget. Look for the minimun vMix requirements, double them and than choose. I don't see much difference between Lenovo Thinkpad and Dell but the last one is believed to be more reliable.

BionicTdb  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 11:33:27 PM(UTC)
BionicTdb

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chrisc300 Go to Quoted Post

If you want to encode using a graphics card, not processor a Dell XPS for around $1300 offers dual channel USB 3.1 v2 and an internal graphics card too. I have the largest XPS (9550) from two years ago and it works jsut fine with the internal Nvidia 980

One thing to consider if you want to use processing power to encode the i7 4core at 2.66ghz wont do anything better than faster. at least for me.

This one is a beast at $1400 - https://www.dell.com/en-...590-laptop/xnber5cr653ps