logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vince Beck  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2020 3:43:33 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I opened the same project currently running on our 2019 15" Macbook Pros Bootcamp (i9 2.4 base 8 cores, Radeon Pro 560X) . The project includes 65 inputs, motion backgrounds, pretty heavy in shortcuts.

Macbook Pro is running at 3ms, Dell running at 25ms on average peaking in the 50's. Now I know the Macs are running an i9, vs the Dell an i7, but is that really what's accounting for the difference?

I did all the usual, removing GeForce experience, setting VMix to max performance in NVidia settings, no changes to performance settings. Checked diagnostics, all good.

The streaming recording is done on external devices.

The plan is to get Alienware PCs next, but I'm wondering if we would be better off with 16" MBP instead given what I'm seeing?

Note that we prefer laptops at this time because of portability for travel.
mavik  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2020 6:27:01 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Take a look at the airtop 3 https://fit-iot.com/web/products/airtop3/
It's not a laptop and not specifically made for travel but a very solid PC all passively cooled, no spinning parts and with great specs. Might be a bit hihger in price compared to Alienware but might be an option. I like the option of two SFP+ ports for 10G fibre (I do a lot of NDI stuff).

vMix makes good use of the GPU, not that much of the CPU (well depends on what your settings really are). So my main focus would be on the GPU, than CPU. I use Xeons in all my streaming machines and I'm very very happy. In combination with a high PCI lane count a superb GPU and NVMe PCIe storage these systems allowed me to do everything so far.

A note on Laptops. A streaming laptop is not light weight, nor silent, nor independent from power (+2h) and they have big heat problems by design. The really "only" advantage they have is that you have a "KVM" included. Said in an exaggerated way.
rjwerth  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 6:08:24 AM(UTC)
rjwerth

United States

I've been trying to run a simple 3 camera setup on a G5 RTX2060 with a 6 core i7 with poor results as well. I think the Killer Ethernet is my biggest problem right now, but it is very easy to max out the CPU.
Vince Beck  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 6:14:59 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I have a feeling that the problem lies with the G Series, there a bottleneck somewhere.

I think it has to do with the i7 VS i9 CPU possibly or heat management.
odoyle  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2021 7:48:04 PM(UTC)
odoyle

Italy

Hello

I'm intrested in buying a laptop for vmix with 4 ptz in ndi and some other sources.
I've found Dell G5 with i7 10750H and RTX2060 is a great computer on the paper, but I've read a lot of problems in the forum.
Wich is your suggestion on a laptop compatible with Vmix ?
I'm searching a PRO laptop like G5, XPS 15 Lenovo Legion C7

my best regards
majorsky  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2021 2:18:28 AM(UTC)
majorsky

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vince Beck Go to Quoted Post
I opened the same project currently running on our 2019 15" Macbook Pros Bootcamp (i9 2.4 base 8 cores, Radeon Pro 560X) . The project includes 65 inputs, motion backgrounds, pretty heavy in shortcuts.

Macbook Pro is running at 3ms, Dell running at 25ms on average peaking in the 50's. Now I know the Macs are running an i9, vs the Dell an i7, but is that really what's accounting for the difference?

I did all the usual, removing GeForce experience, setting VMix to max performance in NVidia settings, no changes to performance settings. Checked diagnostics, all good.

The streaming recording is done on external devices.

The plan is to get Alienware PCs next, but I'm wondering if we would be better off with 16" MBP instead given what I'm seeing?

Note that we prefer laptops at this time because of portability for travel.

I bet the whole problem is because of nvidia Optimus. As you can read here a Laptop with switchable gpu (UEFI Setting) with NO nvidia optimus is needed to get the best performance.

I run vMix on a Alienware 15R3 with a i7-6700HQ and a GTX1060 (no Optimus) with 4 Cameras, NDI Sources, 2 x stream encoder and 1 recording at once without any problems on a 1080p50 project (exept the poor color gammut of the panel).

Today I get me an HP OMEN17-cb1272ng. That's a fair cheap device with a 100% sRGB-Panel. The manufactor told me that there's no Optimus going on there.
So I'll try and report :-)