logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dgcksanders  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 3:14:38 PM(UTC)
dgcksanders

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

vMix HD 23.0.0.60 x64

System:
Dell OptiPlex 7070 MT CTO
AMD Radeon™ RX 550, 4GB, FH (DP/mDP/mDP)
M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive
16GB 1x16GB 2666MHz DDR4 Memory
Intel Core i9-9900 (8 Cores/16MB/16T/up to 5.0GHz/65W)
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit English
Camera: Canon XA11
Video capture: AJA U-TAP HDMI

Typically we have a weekly FB Live run from the above system. Each week the camera freezes multiple times. We usually have fewer than 20 inputs.
Today I have stripped everything back to 2 inputs (camera + blank) and still get the freeze every 15-30 minutes. This is without recording or livestreaming, just camera input in Output.
Even tried unplugging 2nd monitor, no audio with camera. Trying to reduce to bare minimum.
Even tried to use USB on front vs back with no change.
I unchecked/unticked "High Performance Input Mode" which I had checked for some time but again no change.

Now, I am using same equipment (Cannon XA11 + AJA U-TAP) on Lenovo laptop with GeForce MX230. So far it has been running for over 1 hour with no freeze.
We used to use this laptop for FB live but I don't use now because it doesn't have enough power to livestream and record concurrently.

At this point I think it may be the "AMD Radeon™ RX 550, 4GB, FH (DP/mDP/mDP)" at fault. Anyone willing to confirm this may be the likely culprit?

If I must replace this card with a NVIDIA card what would you recommend?

- We only use one camera (may add a second at some point).
- We FB live and record at the same time. Run dual monitors.
- Fewer than 25 inputs thus far.

Would like to stay under $200 if possible.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 4:13:35 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I'd say it is more likely a USB chip problem with the U-Tap

Test with another USB dongle or buy a real PCI Capture card
SportsNetUSA.net  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2020 3:16:16 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dgcksanders Go to Quoted Post

At this point I think it may be the "AMD Radeon™ RX 550, 4GB, FH (DP/mDP/mDP)" at fault. Anyone willing to confirm this may be the likely culprit?

If I must replace this card with a NVIDIA card what would you recommend?

As you know, AMD Radeon cards are not recommended for vMix. The Opal Reference System uses a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 which is just north of $200.
https://www.vmix.com/products/vm...erence-systems.aspx#opal

Have you checked your Power settings? Are you running the OptiPlex as High Performance?

Under Power Options / Advanced Setting / USB Settings see if USB selective suspend setting is set to Enabled or Disabled?
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
dgcksanders on 8/15/2020(UTC)
dgcksanders  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2020 5:38:13 AM(UTC)
dgcksanders

Man
United States

Update:
- I really believed the Dell OptiPlex to be the culprit seeing that I could use the same camera and capture card (AJA U-TAP) with my Lenovo laptop without the issue.
- After reading the post from SportsNetUSA.net I changed the Power settings as recommended.
- I noticed that the OptiPlex was not set for HIGH PERFORMANCE so I changed it and set the "USB Selective Suspend" setting to DISABLE (it was enabled).
- I ran the same test and it still froze UNTIL I rebooted the system.
- After a REBOOT I was able to run without seeing it freeze (I ran it for about an hour). Previously, it would rarely go 15-30 minutes without freezing.
- The following day I powered up again and ran the same test. NO FREEZE (ran for our 40 minutes).

BOTTOM LINE: It seems the problem was with the HIGH PERFORMANCE power setting and more likely the "USB Selective Suspend" setting needing to be DISABLED.

Thanks SportsNetUSA.net
Avent  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 12:59:43 AM(UTC)
Avent

Canada

I've been having the same issue with camera inputs freezing after 15 - 20 minutes

Computer Specs

Dell Alienware M15 R3
10th Generation Intel Core i7-10750H (6-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 5.0GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
CPU @ 2.6GHz
16.0 GB RAM
500 GB SSD drive
Windows 10 Pro
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6

USB Capture cards Magewell SDI and AJA U-TAP SDI

I have done the following to ensure that I am maximizing the machine

1. Made sure to untick "Allow computer to turn off device to save power"
2. In vMix under settings that the performance is set to the dedicated video card
3. Updated the drivers on Magewell and AJA U-TAP devices
4. Windows updates, including updating the BIOS.

I've tried the capture devices on 3 different machines MAC, Lenovo W530 and Lenovo 440 and no freezing. I have a second Dell Alienware M15 R3 similar specs just a different video card NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM)2060 6GB GDDR6 which also freezes.

A few weeks testing I ended up buying a cheap inexpensive USB 3 from Amazon. I plugged both Magewell devices into USB hub and there was no freezing! I ran it for 8 hours straight without any issues. I tested all 3 USB ports of the laptop with USB hub and capture devices connected to it and no freezing. However when I connect them individually without the USB hub, the inputs freeze. It's really strange that a cheap inexpensive USB hub would solve the problem. I contacted Dell Support and had them remote login to install updates. After all the updates they confirmed that everything is working fine and the problem is with the capture cards. However I've tried 3 different capture card manufacturers Magewell, AJA and Epiphan AV.io All 3 work perfectly with USB hub, without the USB hub inputs freeze. So obviously it's not the capture devices. I am considering purchasing AJA I/O 4K Plus.
I'm wondering if anyone has any explanation why a cheap USB hub would prevent the capture devices from freezing.
mikenor  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 3:34:44 PM(UTC)
mikenor

Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well, both your problem computers are Dell and the problem is only when you're using the Dell USB ports. The person above you post was also using a Dell and posted their fix. Did you try that fix? It sounds like Dell USB ports do something funky with power-saving.
vstrode  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 5:45:39 AM(UTC)
vstrode

United States

I don't think it is Dell. I am using a Powerspec and an HP before that, 16GB RAM, SSD etc. VMIX does not work with USB cameras well at all. At best I can get 1 connected and it will freeze within 24 hours and good luck getting it connected back again. Use HDMI into a video mixer.
mikenor  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 1:04:00 PM(UTC)
mikenor

Canada

Originally Posted by: vstrode Go to Quoted Post
I don't think it is Dell. I am using a Powerspec and an HP before that, 16GB RAM, SSD etc. VMIX does not work with USB cameras well at all.

Well, plenty of people use USB cameras with vMix just fine, including myself. So obviously the problem is something more specific than just simply "vMix doesn't work at all".

The troubleshooting that has taken place in this thread so far suggests that the specific problem the people in this thread are having is somehow related to Dell USB ports.

What specific troubleshooting have you done so far that brought you to the conclusion that you're having the same specific issue as the people in this thread, but that the issue is somehow more general than what the troubleshooting in this thread has narrowed down so far?
vstrode  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 1:13:03 PM(UTC)
vstrode

United States

1. My USB cameras work great on 4 dif PCs using OBS. All PCs at least i5 16GB RAM, SSD, video card.
2. 2 of those PCs I installed VMIX.
3. Using video mixer Livepro (4x HDMI to USB 3) Works great but does overheat a bit.
3. Using VMIX I can only connect 1 USB camera (USB 3) and it is a camcorder. Webcam connects but vacillates back and forth a few secs. Unusable. I have also tried
the webcam on the PC I installed the original trial ver of VMIX.

Same hardware dif software dif results.

mikenor  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 1:24:44 PM(UTC)
mikenor

Canada

Originally Posted by: vstrode Go to Quoted Post
Same hardware dif software dif results.

Right, so that establishes that there's some problem with vMix in your setup.

People have identified that they are having an issue potentially related to Dell USB ports. You have identified that you're having an issue. You have identified that the issue you're having is not caused by Dell USB ports. You are claiming that the issue identified around Dell USB ports is false. How did you arrive at this conclusion?
vstrode  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 4:36:13 AM(UTC)
vstrode

United States

Sorry, bad conclusion. I know that Dell has had a history of bad USB drivers but updating them from their site usually fixes that.