logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
reezyfasheezy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 1:33:48 PM(UTC)
reezyfasheezy

Groups: Registered
United States

I have been testing my new laptop with 8 vMix calls, streaming at 1080p 29.97, and recording at 1080p 25mb. My internet connection is terrible, 9mb down, 0.6mb up, and yes I live in a rural area with dsl... Now, I am not planning on doing any vMix calls at my house, I am simply trying to test the capabilities of my system. Here are my specs:

2020 HP Omen 17-cb1070nr
I7-10750H, 6 core, 2.6GHz base, boost up to 5GHz
RTX 2060
16 gb RAM
512 gb SSD
No Gsync, but integrated graphics is disabled as far as I can tell.

My render times are pretty good, fluctuating around 3-9ms, with the occasional spike to 17, 23, 36 (rarely). According to statistics, there are no source or render drops on my output or recording, but I am getting a ton of source and render drops on my vmix calls. For the vMix call-ins I am using (4) laptops on the same wifi at my house, (2) iphones at my house on the same wifi, and a friends (1) pc laptop and (1) phone in another state. Are the vMix call source and render drops in the statistics window normal? I know the vMix call requirements to host the call are 2mb up and down for each participant, and I am WAY below this when it comes to upload speed.

I am assuming that if I had a better internet connection these source/render drops would be fewer? Would my overall render times be lower?
reezyfasheezy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 1:36:39 PM(UTC)
reezyfasheezy

United States

To add, in my current preset I have 36 inputs combination of videos, a video list, titles, and PIP multiview inputs.
ejpontius  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2020 12:23:30 AM(UTC)
ejpontius

United States

A better internet connection would definitely help.
I have an internet connection around ~450Mb/s down ~20Mb/s up. I have no noticeable issues with hosting 8 simultaneous vmix calls.

However, I'm also using a desktop with a 14 core CPU and 128GB of ram, fast nvme drives, and GTX 1070ti.

Usually the biggest issue for me is the guest's network and internet connection quality...lot of people have surprisingly crappy wireless connectivity in their homes and/or horrible internet bandwidth. We end up spending a lot of time with guests trying to find the optimal spot where they get the best signal or get them to use a hard wire (even had someone drag 100ft of cat5 from their router to their basement where they had their system setup).