logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
erikhogeboom  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 9:08:21 PM(UTC)
erikhogeboom

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

Example of a device

Hi!

I saw a few youtubers talk about those cheap USB-capture cards (usb 2.0) that are becoming more popular now. They are branded differently but all work the same and they work really well with OBS. The reviews are actually really positive, so I've bought a few of them for a few bucks.

An example:
https://www.amazon.com/g...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As said, I can get them to work smoothly with OBS, but vMix is a different story. The image is laggy, framerate sucks. I've tested quite a few settings, but cannot get it to work.

I've contacted support and they said they don't support this hardware, so won't comment on it. That's something I regret, mostly because you see a lot of these capturecards and they could be a great asset for quick camera/laptop capture into vMix.

I cannot download drivers, because there is no 'one manufacturer'. They don't need it also (advertised also to work without driver) and they do in OBS, but not in vMix. What can I do to change this?
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 11:26:03 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ erikhogeboom

vMix does not support devices that capture full HD Video via USB 2.
The bandwidth is insufficient on USB 2 for 1080p so it requires a compression format that is not supported as it is inadequate for use with vMix, as you have discovered.

Ice
erikhogeboom  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 5:21:16 PM(UTC)
erikhogeboom

Netherlands

Well, that's something I don't understand. If OBS can get it to work, why can't vMix? Why is it 'inadequate'? And why can one of the biggest streaming softwareplatform in the world work perfectly fine with it?
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 10:16:47 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ erikhogeboom

The bottom line is, OBS is not as particular about the quality of the video feed coming in.
What might look perfectly fine to you is actually not technically acceptable by "professional" standards and as such, it is not going to be supported for use with vMix.
A workaround, if you must, is to capture with OBS and then send the OBS Output to vMix.

Ice
erikhogeboom  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 10:55:42 PM(UTC)
erikhogeboom

Netherlands

That's something I face often in the broadcasting world: it looks good, but 'we don't think it's on par with our standards'. Sad to see that this is the case here also, so it seems. Even from a company that allready is disrputive in the broadcastworld. Its'something streamers/twitchers/youtubers just don't care about and with good arguments. The endusers doens't see it, but it makes workflows a lot simpler.

To bad, really would have liked this to work.
xaver  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 2:11:19 AM(UTC)
xaver

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 32 post(s)
https://www.ebay.de/itm/...sid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

works very well,
also available on aliexpress

we use it on a Raspi4 as NDI Encoder and on vMix
boris9831  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 4:04:56 AM(UTC)
boris9831

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Set the input resolution to MJPG and it should work fine. I have tested a usb3 of another model and this USB one and they both work well together and the latency is very low for a USB device. quality is as good as a higher end web cam such as the Logi C920.
mjgraves  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 8:15:39 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IceStream Go to Quoted Post
@ erikhogeboom

vMix does not support devices that capture full HD Video via USB 2.
The bandwidth is insufficient on USB 2 for 1080p so it requires a compression format that is not supported as it is inadequate for use with vMix, as you have discovered.

Ice

That's not true at all. The ability to send an MJPEG encoded stream goes all the way back to UVC 1.0c in 2004.

Devices like the Logitech C920 webcam have been able to send 1080p30 over USB 2.0 for as long as vMix has existed.

MJPEG is preferred for its low latency behavior, but H264 also allows such capture. These cheapest of devices seem to support MJPEG.

Further, USB 2 has an advantage when trying to use multiple devices connected to laptop. It may only expose a single USB 3 bus. With a suitable hub you can use 2-3 of these MJPEG capable devices on that single USB 3 host connection.