logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
steve907  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2020 3:15:58 PM(UTC)
steve907

Groups: Registered
United States

We have three cameras inputting into ATEM Mini Pro (AMP). The output settings for the AMP only go down to 1080/30. But, due to internet bandwidth, we want to lower this to 720/30. I read that this is not "recommended" and I can understand that it would put more strain on the computer to have the encoders converting 1080 to 720.

My question... is this recommended because vMix CAN'T convert 1080 inputs to 720? Or just because it adds strain on the software/system?

Next question... if vMix encoders can to this, then WHERE are the settings for this? We are coming from Wirecast and all these setting are in the stream settings. But I don't see frame rate in the vMix stream settings. I see frame rate in the vMix Settings > Display > Master Frame Rate. Is this where I set the streams frame rate? And below that is "output size". Do I assume this is the streams output?

Thanks for the help.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2020 5:27:41 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Keep both AMP and vMix at 1080p30.
Only downscale to 720p30 for streaming which can be set in the streaming settings (although you did not see).

For the rest, do not "assume" things ! Test them so that you understand what does what
steve907  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2020 3:43:26 AM(UTC)
steve907

United States

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post

Only downscale to 720p30 for streaming which can be set in the streaming settings (although you did not see).

So, where are the stream settings to set it to 720p?

xaver  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2020 3:57:26 AM(UTC)
xaver

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: steve907 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post

So, where are the stream settings to set it to 720p?

Streamsettings / near by the quality

https://www.vmix.com/help23/StreamingQuality.html
thanks 1 user thanked xaver for this useful post.
steve907 on 7/17/2020(UTC)
steve907  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2020 5:00:59 AM(UTC)
steve907

United States

OK. So I have read and reread the "User Guide". Let me see if I have this right.

1. Our ATEM Mini Pro sends 1080/30 to vMix.

2. We want to stream at 720/30 because of bandwidth issues.

3. In "Settings > Display" we should match the "Master Frame Rate" to our inputs frame rate which is 30fps.

4. In the "Settings > Display" we should change "Output Size" to the size we plan to stream at which is 1280x720. (The user manual says, "This is the master resolution all inputs are scaled to prior to being sent to Fullscreen, Recording, External Output or Streaming.")

5. Then when we go to stream we go to "Stream > Stream Settings > Stream Quality". Here we can set the bit rate and the encode size (which is confusing because didn't we just set this size in the "settings > display > output size", so just be sure to match it?).

6. In "Stream > Stream Settings > Stream Quality" there is no framerate. We are to assume we are streaming using the master frame rate set in Settings > Display > Master Frame Rate.

whew... that is all over the place. Is it right?

And finally, back to the original question. Will vMix encode an input of 1080p and convert it to 720p? I was told not to do this. Is that because vMix can't do it (which would suck but we'd have to live with it) or is it just because it is ideal to have them matching?

Thank much everyone.