logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
beedegee  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 12:52:55 AM(UTC)
beedegee

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
For an upcoming show we want to make 2 (SDI) feeds from 1 vMix and would like to be able to use the Merge and Stinger in both feeds, not a the same time ofcourse.

The idea is that the first part of the show is with vCall's 1 to 4, we want to switch between them (with merge and stinger) on Output 1.
Output 2 is a static quad view of vCall 5/8

Second part of the show is with vCall's 5 to 8, we want to switch between them (with merge and stinger) on Output 2.
Output 1 is a static quad view of vCall 1/4

I was hoping to be able to make a shortcut to switch in Output1 from [output] to [input #Quad].
I can make a shortcut to do that for Output2 but that's not possible for output 1.
Strangely enough I can make the change I want in the settings, but for obvious reason I want to be able to do it via a shortcut.
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2023 12:23:58 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
+1

In a previous General discussion regarding this functionality IceStream wrote:

Quote:
@ ungetoastet
Can you make a good case scenario for why you would want to change Output[1]?
As Guillaume says, Output[1] is the main Program Output of vMix and directly tied to what you are Streaming and/or Recording.
Any switching done in vMix is reflected in Output[1] by default.
Changing it with a Shortcut or API command is probably not a good idea as it kind of takes vMix and its abilities out of the equation.
(at least in terms of streaming and recording your Program Output)Ice

Here is my (good) case.

In todays wonderful vMix world we have Output as Input and Mix Inputs. One of our use cases is to add a sign interpreter to the production.
Consider these Inputs:
- Orig-Output (Output Input)
- CAM-Sign (camera on sign interpreter)
- OUT-Sign, Black colour with Orig-Output on layer 1 and CAM-Sign on layer 2

Now, we want to stream and record OUT-sign, as well as record Output.
To do this we have to manually go into settings and for Output select the input number of OUT-sign and for Output2 select Output.
The in the recorder select these two outputs for recording.
This works, but...

...we really want this requested Shortcut so we (in a script) can make sure that Output1 gets the Input named "OUT-Sign", in case it is moved and get a new number.
mavik  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2023 11:06:52 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Your setup sounds a bit weird to me.
add the original video as an input. Add the sign signal as another input and overlay it. This will get you the pip on output1. Set output 2 to input 1 and you have the clean feed.
WaltG12  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2023 7:09:26 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
Your setup sounds a bit weird to me.
add the original video as an input. Add the sign signal as another input and overlay it. This will get you the pip on output1. Set output 2 to input 1 and you have the clean feed.

I don't think they explained it particularly well. I thought it was weird as well, until I realized what (I think) they were actually describing, which is a fairly clever use of the Output input.

Say you have a church with a camera for the pastor, a camera for the choir, and a camera for the youth pastor who speaks to the kids away from the main podium (thus requiring a third camera).

All 3 are being interpreted into sign language on the feed in real time (let's say via vMix Call).

Transitioning between those 3 cameras is easiest done using the program output. It's pretty much what the whole thing is designed for.

But at that point, your only option to stream that output with the sign language interpretation would be to put the sign language interpreter on 1 of your Overlay channels (which won't work if they're already in use for other things, like closed captioning & graphics) or do what they're describing and use your main program feed simply to feed an input that you send to your stream.

The built-in streaming functionality is strictly tied to Output 1, while the program output (and output input) aren't.

That would then allow you to stream a multiview input of a fixed camera on your sign language interpreter and your program feed while using your overlay channels for other things.

Now, of course, they could use Mix inputs instead of the main program, but I can understand the desire to use the main program for this, especially if you're switching manually.

It's also an interesting way to get around a 4 Overlay channel limit, while maintaining full program level control, by building a custom output multiview around the output input that you stream in its stead.

Most of the functionality of vMix is built around the program output, not Output 1. Doing this essentially allows you to add 10 basic overlay channels while still maintaining the ability to switch your program output by clicking the UI buttons or using shortcuts and triggers that don't have to account for Mix inputs.

It's also handy with pre-recorded videos and audio, since you maintain the autoplay on transition functionality.

As for the original subject, +1.

There's really no reason for there to not to be a shortcut, since the functionality is offered within the settings to make the change and the other settings (such as Output 2-4) already have a shortcut.

That said, in the interim, outputs selections are saved to presets. So if you consistently use the same preset for the same setup (which I recommend) you can set it in your preset and not have to worry about it. I'd recommend putting it on input 1 and minimizing it so you don't lose or engage it.