logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
melody  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 9:03:29 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi all, i dont know if this is the appropriate forum to post this, but here goes...

First of all, i love Windows and i have worked with Windows since i remember to start using my old first computer (Windows 95). I studied with other windows enthusiasts and i never thought about stop using Windows... SINCE NOW.

Recently i have experienced so many bugs and issues on Windows 10, i readed a comment on another topic about a user that simply was tired of dealing with Windows issues on its own computer and im on that point too... im completly tired of dealing with stability issues and buggy updates, every time Windows shows me an update notification my hands start to shake, every big update simply screws my network, audio and graphics configurations.

That said, Windows is done for me, its time to move on, its time to try Linux and i will explore all the available alternatives to migrate all my productions to Linux.

For now, im trying some distros like Manjaro, Ubuntu, PopOS, Deepin and the new WindowsFX (from LinuxFX team).

Steam has launched a plugin called Proton which allows some games to Run on Linux and Mac, its evolving and more games are being supported.

Once vMix is not native supporting Linux, i Will try some Windows compatible developments using Wine and PlayOnLinux. PlayOnLinux allows a similar Windows installations like its done on windows environment by run .exe and .msi files, it is realy interesting.

For those who want to move to Linux or want to help someone to move to Linux, your help and feedback is appreciated.

Lets see what the future is holding for us.

Cheers,

Melody
mavik  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:31:30 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Good luck. Let us know how you progress.
Alternatively you can go virtual. Create a golden image and use it everytime. A new fresh system in 5 minutes.
AgentPete  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 1:13:40 AM(UTC)
AgentPete

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 2 post(s)
vMix is the main reason I'm still on Windows :)

Good luck with Wine etc. I fear you've got your work cut out. And OBS is very primitive by comparison to vMix. If only our heroes could be persuaded to bring out a Linux version... :)
melody  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2020 9:56:48 PM(UTC)

i'll add the new ubuntu studio 20.04 to my tests, there are very interesting things turned to media production.

last days, i've been browsing PlayOnLinux and Wine... not so much results BUT i could install .Net Framework 3.5, this is a good start...

now, every time i try to install vmix i got the error "vMix require windows 7 or later".

if anyone knows something to help, it will be very appreciatted.
MartLeib  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2020 7:46:06 PM(UTC)
MartLeib

Estonia

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)
After switching to the Windows LTSC I must say, that I have no longer issues with Windows, either with stability or updates or anything. Using it on multiple systems and different setups, laptops and desktops. Give it a go.
The main selling points for LTSC: no feature updates, only security updates. No bloatware, even the calculator looks like from Windows 7.
Peter1000  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2020 11:09:02 PM(UTC)
Peter1000

Switzerland

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 54 post(s)
We have over 20 vMix Windows10 systems in use.
On I7 laptops, I7 and I9 workstations, IntelNUC's and one even on a UDOO bolt.
All of them are unmanaged, make automatic updates and run perfectly, without any disturbance.
melody  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2020 12:03:03 AM(UTC)

there are some licencing issues involving LTSC version of Windows 10, so i decided not go that way...

update: i changed the strategy and tried (with success) to install vMix run a modified script on PlayOnLinux, the next step is fix the Microsoft Feature Media Pack error, i'm happy :-)
if someone who uses linux or is a linux enthusiast, here goes the link for download the script file (PLEASE, read the "ATTENTION" at the end of this post before download and use this file):

https://mega.nz/file/mZp...NKIp8BkD0tlbSmI9q9Bh4boE

*before run this script, you need to go terminal and execute this command line:

echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope

good luck,

melody

ATTENTION:
*this post won't intent to run illegal ways, it's aimed just to find a way to run vMix on linux.
*vMix is not officialy supported on linux, so don't look for help from developer or his team, unless they decide to step in. HOWEVER, it would be great if the developer could help on this BIG journey.
*the file above is an install script to run on PlayOnLinux app, it was modified by me, the original one which was created by another person, can be found following this link:

https://www.playonlinux....dobe_Creative_Cloud.html

*the procedure was tested on a virtual machine, using a clean install of ubuntu studio 20.04, DON'T DO THAT ON YOUR MAIN COMPUTER UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, YOUR PERSONAL DATA CAN BE AFFECTED OR LOST;
*i'm not responsible for any damage on your system or on your computer, be responsible, be carefull, use the script at your own risk;
melody  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 12:09:13 AM(UTC)

i keep doing some research to revive this topic and i found this article...

"DirectX is coming to the Windows Subsystem for Linux"

https://devblogs.microso...ctx/directx-heart-linux/

maybe we have some improvements in a near future to make vmix work in linux directly.

cheers,

melody