logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CryowolfGG  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 3:24:05 AM(UTC)
CryowolfGG

Groups: Registered
Switzerland

Hi

I've been streaming video games on Twitch and Mixer with vMix (HD) for about a half a year now. However, since vMix uses the GPU heavier than the CPU, I have to divert to other programs when I'm streaming games that bear a heavy load on my graphics card (RTX 2080 Ti). In these cases, my GPU is at its absolute limit and the stream will start stuttering, which makes it unviewable for my audience, while my CPU is running at a cool 3% load or something. In my view, it just doesn't make sense to double the burden on the GPU when the CPU could also help out.

vMix allows for a vastly superior production quality when streaming. I think vMix could be extremely popular for streamers like me who want to present good production quality to their audience while also running newer games flawlessly.

So it is my suggestion to add a different mode where vMix uses the CPU to encode, like other streaming software.

Thank you for your consideration.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 3:53:29 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
If you don't tick the hardware encoding option, vMix uses the CPU to encode !

Another absolutely useless feature request ! Reading the manual is not as fun as playing games but it helps not to be ridiculous for a first post on the forum !
CryowolfGG  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 4:01:55 AM(UTC)
CryowolfGG

Switzerland

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
If you don't tick the hardware encoding option, vMix uses the CPU to encode !

Another absolutely useless feature request ! Reading the manual is not as fun as playing games but it helps not to be ridiculous for a first post on the forum !

Well forgive me my ignorance then instead of shouting at me, please.

However, I actually don't have the hardware encoding option ticked. Why then does vMix run so poorly compared to the likes of OBS?
Geoff B  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 5:11:26 AM(UTC)
Geoff B

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I've actually had very poor results trying to use the CPU to encode. With a big AWS machine (32 vCPU cores) I thought I could have the CPU do the encode to relieve a bit of the stress on the GPU, but it struggles to keep up.
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 7:29:55 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Geoff B Go to Quoted Post
I've actually had very poor results trying to use the CPU to encode. With a big AWS machine (32 vCPU cores) I thought I could have the CPU do the encode to relieve a bit of the stress on the GPU, but it struggles to keep up.

You're just going to have to be more specific than, "I've actually had very poor results." Details matter. Are you using encoding presents? Or crafting your own? There's huge latitude to tweak the encoding, if you have the time and inclination to learn.

I believe that OBS uses FFMPEG, just like vMix. You can check what settings its using and have vmix use them as well.
Geoff B  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 7:51:34 AM(UTC)
Geoff B

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post
You're just going to have to be more specific than, "I've actually had very poor results." Details matter. Are you using encoding presents? Or crafting your own? There's huge latitude to tweak the encoding, if you have the time and inclination to learn.

I believe that OBS uses FFMPEG, just like vMix. You can check what settings its using and have vmix use them as well.

Why do I need to be more specific? I'm not trying to do this anymore, and I'm not asking for help with it.

If it helps someone else for some reason, I was unsuccessful using the H264 1080p 6mbps AAC 128 kbps preset on the FFMPEG application to stream to Twitch with "Use Hardware Encoder" unticked. This was on a g4dn.8xlarge EC2 instance in the SF data center of AWS.

But again, I'm not trying to do this anymore. I'm generating my streams using the hardware encoder, or outside of vMix.