logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boris9831  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2020 11:08:52 AM(UTC)
boris9831

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
video latency.jpg (191kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

Just ran some NDI numbers. Does any one else have a Spark NDI from NewTech? The latency numbers are twice that of a PTZoptics 20x with NDI, in my set up it's 15 frames vs 7 frames for the PTZoptics and 8.5 frames for a USB to HDMI dongle I just bought from Amazon, $27. https://amzn.to/3eTtLxI

kane  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2020 2:19:20 PM(UTC)
kane

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
You don't mention which Spark unit? I'm assuming the Spark HDMI/SDI (not Spark Plus 4K or Spark Plus IO)? Is that connected via wireless or wired?

I did a test on mine (back in 2017 when this was all released) and got 89ms of latency compared to my SDI camera input (about 5 frames) that was connected via wired. If you have wireless, the latency will be higher. With improvements to the NDI-HX driver, it possible that latency would be a tiny bit less today.

The latency will be higher than a camera that has NDI-HX built into it, since you have to wait for the signal to come out of the camera into the Spark, then the Spark will process it. You are seeing latency in the camera combined with latency in the Spark HDMI/SDI unit.

Latency Test.jpg (1,536kb) downloaded 88 time(s).

Kane Peterson
NewTek