logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ruudboon  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2020 11:42:03 PM(UTC)
ruudboon

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

I started a new opensource project for a tally solution that works with vMix. On the tally nodes I've added Zeroconf for autodiscovery by the configuration tool.
I would like tov drop a feature request for announcing the vMix api on the network as well. This allows me build auto-configuration fully.

Github project: https://github.com/ruudboon/tally-blaster
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 3:41:01 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
vMix already exposes all the inputs via the API, just use it to build your autoconf module, it's just a matter of a few lines of code

https://www.vmix.com/hel...eveloperInformation.html
ruudboon  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 4:09:02 PM(UTC)
ruudboon

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
vMix already exposes all the inputs via the API, just use it to build your autoconf module, it's just a matter of a few lines of code

https://www.vmix.com/hel...eveloperInformation.html

I'm already using the api to discover the inputs. I would like to request zeroconf to discover the ip/host of the machine that is running vMix.
When vMix startup it would be great if it announce his ip and api port using multicast.
That way devices that need to know the ip of the vMix machine can discover this. This is helpful for my tally project but could be handy for every device that connect with vMix using the network.
This same technique is used in for example NDI
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 5:04:42 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I know what Bonjour is and why it is used but I don't understand why you want to use it:
- I clearly don't want my vMix hosts to be publicly exposed to the LAN and risk to have people "playing" with the webcontroller without my conscent
- those who need tallies can ask the producer which IP/port to use
- vMix is not like NDI where you want to have streams available on the network for anyone. vMix is a production software, not for anyone on the network
- most 3rd party apps that rely on vMix just have a setting for IP/Port to establish connection if the producer agrees. Again I don't want anyone to be able to mess with my setups.

I see what you want to do, but it seems you're forgetting that such protocols are an open door to problems.
ruudboon  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 5:32:03 PM(UTC)
ruudboon

Netherlands

I know what Bonjour is and why it is used but I don't understand why you want to use it:
- I clearly don't want my vMix hosts to be publicly exposed to the LAN and risk to have people "playing" with the webcontroller without my conscent
- those who need tallies can ask the producer which IP/port to use
- vMix is not like NDI where you want to have streams available on the network for anyone. vMix is a production software, not for anyone on the network
- most 3rd party apps that rely on vMix just have a setting for IP/Port to establish connection if the producer agrees. Again I don't want anyone to be able to mess with my setups.

I see what you want to do, but it seems you're forgetting that such protocols are an open door to problems.

- I would like to suggest that this can be an option in the preferences that can be turned on/off
- This will not lead to any security issues that aren't already there. An ip-scan on port 80 will allow you to find vMix as well.

For standalone headless devices that need to connect to vMix it will be handy if the device can be discovered that way.
TFMG  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 6:46:25 PM(UTC)
TFMG

Australia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Surely you'd have password authentication enabled in vMix if you were worried about that...
Ruudboon's suggested option to enable or disable the IP announce would also get around the issue of having multiple vMix instances running on the same network.
Having a Tally system automatically find a vMix instance would take a lot of hassle out of adding new tally lights into an existing setup, so I can definitely see the benefit.

+1
mavik  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 7:30:54 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
+1 for the optional anouncement.