logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
asnplus  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 1:28:57 PM(UTC)
asnplus

Groups: Registered

Yooooooooooooo! I finally figured out the penalty clock setup for you hockey vMixers out there. And you don't need extra ccameras (especially you IceStream - and thanks for the initaladvice on this).
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 1:34:03 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ asnplus

Awesome!
Can you describe and share a link or image of what/how you've done it?

Ice
asnplus  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 2:13:30 PM(UTC)
asnplus

Gladly, Ice. This has less to do with cameras and more to do with that little used tab in the Shortcuts area called "Advanced"

What you do is you set your main clock up in your template. The format can be flipped in the Title Editor for that timer under Countdown Settings. Once your main timer is configured, then you create a background for your penalty clocks. It will be just one background/text field used for 2/4 clocks.

Now, considering you have only four overlays and one is already taken up by the scoreboard, you may want to concentrate on one clock per side. NOT A PROBLEM.

asnplus  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 2:42:35 PM(UTC)
asnplus

Once you set your inital penalty, if an additional penalty pops up for that team, you go back into the Title Editor, to Countdown Settings, type in the new time (current time plus added penalty), hit enter to lock it in, hit OK, then hit the Stop button to reset the timer on the main input.

Now for the magic touch. Set the penalty clock shortcuts to PauseCountdown. Set your main timer to PauseCountdown as well, but then go into the Advanced tab on that shortcut to link the two penalty shortcuts. You do that by adding the keys used to start the penalty timers. Once that is done, hit OK all the way back to the main screen.

Keep in mind, the penalty clocks are overlays so you do not need to bring them up unless a penalty occurs.

To test your clocks, hit the main timer shortcut to start the main clock. The penalty clocks will also run because of the link up, but again, THEY ARE NOT NEEDED UNTIL AN ACTUAL PENALTY OCCURS. Once you have a penalty, you have time to set the first clock in the title editor countdown settings (don't forget to hit the stop button to lock that time in). Once you are set, minimize your editor to the main screen, bring up the penalty on another overlay channel, then hit your main timer shortcut again, and watch in amazement......
asnplus  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 2:46:04 PM(UTC)
asnplus

For overlay arrangement purposes, your main scoreboard is overlay 1, left side penalty is overlay 2, right side penalty is overlay 3.

It is important to note that once the penalty clock reaches all zeros to cut that channel off so it won't clutter the screen, then bring it up again when the next penalty occurs. If you want to get fancy and add another field to denote the type of on-ice situation (full strength, 5 on 4, etc), you can create another title to indicate as such (this will be overlay 4). If you are at full strength once the penalty ends, llet that ride for four seconds, then turn it off.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 6:04:11 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ asnplus

I feel your enthusiasm, your set up is not all that different from mine and things that I have tried, but I have to ask:

Have you tried it "live"?

The reason I ask is because I have found that there is not enough time to open the Titler settings to reset times and close out before the puck drops again.
I would suggest you experiment with an old game tape/file that you may have on hand and try your new clock out. It will help with perfecting the procedure and/or point out possible problems that you certainly want to avoid in a live situation.
But, congratulations on figuring out some of the awesome features possible with vMix. Sometimes that's the best way to learn and understand how things work.

Ice
asnplus  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 6:33:44 PM(UTC)
asnplus

One thing that makes this a bit easier is that the timers are already preset to 2 minutes. The only reason to jump in and do a full settings reset is additional penalties in excess of the first one on each side. If we can get two more overlay channels on each input for a total of 6, now we have two timers per side that we can bring up as seperate overlays as needed
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 9:36:57 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

I suppose that could be an option, although I don't know that it makes anything easier.
What I did was have all my penalty clocks (6) on one overlay, one 4 mins and two 2 mins each side.
When you delete the text (or clock numbers in this case) in the Title Editor there is nothing displayed on screen.
Then, by triggering one of your clocks with a "PauseCountdown" shortcut key, it will automatically start and display on screen.
The complication comes in triggering all the right clocks at the right time.
It is possible to set this up in advanced settings, but now requires additional shortcut keys for the various permutations of required clocks and you have to memorize them all or somehow mark them so you know which one you need to push.
This is why I say practice, practice, practice...
As I've said in an earlier thread, one or two penalties is fairly straightforward and easily managed.
It's once you get into multiple overlapping and/or 4 minute penalties that you have to have your wits about you!
Certainly keep me posted, I'd love to hear how it all works out and perhaps see your clocks in action.

Ice
asnplus  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 9:59:27 PM(UTC)
asnplus

Here is how I solved that wildness.

I have the board set at two penalty clocks each, much like most boards at the amateur level. I preset all the clocks to 2 mins with having the second clock on each side as my overflow.

Here is how the Settings and StopCountdown shortcut work hand in hand. If I have overflow, I just reset the clock in settings, hit the StopCountdown shortcut, then it will count from my new time without missing a beat. What I have done is to set a sort of "master reset" on my pena;ties where all four clocks are linked to the home penalty clock, with each clock also able to be reset by itself.

It may sound crazy, but you do have enough time in the penalty stoppage to make this happen.