logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ClementN  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:49:36 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Groups: Registered
Romania

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hello,

We'll start to use a ASUS laptop : G750JS-T4029D (Intel Core i7-4700HQ, Haswell, 24GB, 2TB @7200rpm, BD Reader, 2 x nVidia GeForce GTX 870M@3GB, USB 3.0, HDMI, Thunderbolt)

It is advertised to have 2 x nVidia geForce GTX 870M (each 3GB).

Can someone please tell me if vMix will make use of this double card configuration ?

Also, it seams that the laptop has also an embedded Intel HD Graphics 4600.
We plan to make use of this, too by activating the Hybrid Multi-Monitor so we can use the multiple output features of vMix .
Is anyone used that Hybrid Multi-Monitor setting ?
(http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/intel-embedded-media-and-graphics-driver/hybrid-multi-monitor-support-paper.html)

Thank you,
Thremir  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2014 8:35:20 AM(UTC)
Thremir

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 29 post(s)
To answer your first question, the two GeForce cards will run in what is known as nVidia SLI,and would make the two cards run as one for the applications using them. This does however not mean that you'll always get 2x performance, but it'll depend on the application using it.

As far as I know, vMix does not require too much of a GPU (as their recommended system is a "Dedicated nVidia Card with 1GB Memory"), I would not care too much of this at all, other than turning the SLI on/off to compare the actual vMix performance. This is because when you run a normal application which is not (as far as I know) optimized for SLI, you can sometimes end up with lower performance than with only one graphics card alone (Source: "Been there, done that").

As far as the Intel "Hybrid Multi-Monitor" goes, I don't really think the branding here has something to say. A standard laptop supports two displays, normally the internal and one external, or two external, but, this is a limitation for each GPU unit, so technically speaking, your laptop could support up to 6 monitors (but this specific laptop is only 4, 1 internal and 3 external due to the limited hardware outputs). I do not know if it really does so, and I couldn't really figure out what this "Hybrid Multi-Monitor" thingy is, but should you end up not being able to have the wished amount of displays connected at once, a USB (preferrably 3.0) "Graphics Card" can be added to add another display output.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Håvard
ClementN  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2014 2:54:25 PM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Thank you very much for the information, Håvard.

Very useful.

Best regards,
Clement
doyousee.me  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2014 2:53:19 AM(UTC)
doyousee.me

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
vmix does depend on gpu for better performance.

M@ik
LG  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 3, 2014 5:14:29 AM(UTC)
LG

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thremir wrote:
To answer your first question, the two GeForce cards will run in what is known as nVidia SLI,and would make the two cards run as one for the applications using them. This does however not mean that you'll always get 2x performance, but it'll depend on the application using it.

As far as I know, vMix does not require too much of a GPU (as their recommended system is a "Dedicated nVidia Card with 1GB Memory"), I would not care too much of this at all, other than turning the SLI on/off to compare the actual vMix performance. This is because when you run a normal application which is not (as far as I know) optimized for SLI, you can sometimes end up with lower performance than with only one graphics card alone (Source: "Been there, done that").

As far as the Intel "Hybrid Multi-Monitor" goes, I don't really think the branding here has something to say. A standard laptop supports two displays, normally the internal and one external, or two external, but, this is a limitation for each GPU unit, so technically speaking, your laptop could support up to 6 monitors (but this specific laptop is only 4, 1 internal and 3 external due to the limited hardware outputs). I do not know if it really does so, and I couldn't really figure out what this "Hybrid Multi-Monitor" thingy is, but should you end up not being able to have the wished amount of displays connected at once, a USB (preferrably 3.0) "Graphics Card" can be added to add another display output.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Håvard

uhm? VMix uses the GPU a lot to ofload the CPU!!