logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tlberglund  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 6:08:40 AM(UTC)
tlberglund

Groups: Registered

Does anyone have experience using vMix in VMware Fusion on a MacBook Pro? My machine is fairly late-model and runs Windows very well, but I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure that this doesn't work.

(It seems like this question would have been asked before. I searched for it, but didn't find it. Apologies if this is a duplicate.)

Tim
Luc Henrion  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 8:37:52 AM(UTC)
Luc Henrion

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
there is a Free 60 Day Trial... try it :-)
fordry  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 1:53:58 AM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Vmix leverages the video card pretty heavily so i'd be surprised if it worked very well unless you have a system that is capable of passing through a graphics card to the VM. I haven't ever tried that myself, I should one of these days since I have a system that will do it and spare graphics cards floating around.
zenon  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:50:03 AM(UTC)
zenon

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
HI,

I was just installing a VMIX on the fusion, same configuration as a surface windows 8.1 pro 64 bits. On surface it's working without trouble, on the VM fusion I have audio but no video for the same MP4 H264 video file. So I guess that the overlay used to put the video is not working for Vmix.

All the rest seems to be ok, codecs and so on , because on the VM the video is played correctly on Media player.

So I suppose that Vmix is not working in VMWare fusion. Perhaps if the Vmix developer can confirm this, I'll not waste more time to try to get it work in the virtual machine. An official statement could be fine.

Thx

Dominique
fordry  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2014 1:05:21 AM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Vmix uses the graphics card's hardware for handling playback and stuff and as the system requirements page says, it needs a decent card. If you are just using the default fusion graphics drivers vmix won't work well. If, as I said before, you can pass through the graphics card directly to the VM, it may very well work properly. I have no idea if Macs support that or not and I am pretty sure you need a couple graphics cards to pull it off as well.