logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
owlietenil2  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2020 3:23:15 PM(UTC)
owlietenil2

Groups: Registered

As this situation unfolds, my church is exploring the option of holding services from our homes if (and hopefully not when) we get a shelter in place order. I loaded up VMix's trial yesterday to test the VMix call function and it went really well. A couple clergy members connected up to test with me and found it very easy to use.https://vlc.onl

From my spot behind the switcher, looks like this program is pretty solid in general. We currently run a Livestream HD51 with Livestream Studio 6, so VMix can run on the same hardware and stream to Vimeo/FB/YT like we already do. It also has Luma and linear keying which allows us to go forward with some of the graphics options we were looking at. Currently I just have static PNGs that I can fade in as overlays on Livestream, but I already made some sample animated chirons that looked really good in my VMix testing. https://getappvalley.com/

All that said, I have to learn this software very quickly just in case. I'm planning on hitting up the YouTube tutorials while I'm home today, but I wanted to see if there was any users here who have advice about the workflow and/or quirks of the platform. At the very least, we'll be running 6-8 video calls, a few VTRs preshow (one main loop and a couple little sketches), bug, lower third IDs, and possibly using one of the video callers as PiP sign language interpretation. I'm also thinking it may be a full time replacement for Livestream Studio after all this is over, which would be our normal 4 camera switch with ALS in PiP and similar VTR setup, maybe even ProPresenter doing lower third lyrics. https://tweakbox.mobi/
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2020 8:44:30 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ owlietennil2

First of all, welcome to vMix and the vMix forum.
I think the best advice is to just "play" with it as much as possible and try to "break" it or at least find a "quirk" that doesn't work the way you want it to or are familiar with that you can then ask about here directly on the forum.
I am not overly familiar with the Livestream workflow, but I am sure there is going to be a bit of a learning curve in jumping to vMix.
In general, if there is something you want to accomplish in vMix, there are usually a couple of different ways to accomplish it and it is just a matter of figuring out what is going to be the best way for your situation.
Of note, from my perspective, Shortcuts and/or a control surface are going to be your best friend with vMix, so that is one area you may want to explore.
Have fun with it and don't be shy, this is a great community that is full of helpful advice (many of us have been in a similar place having come over from another software and having to "learn the ropes" so to speak).

Ice