logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Josemite  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 8:09:20 AM(UTC)
Josemite

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What's working: Static IP, port forwarding on my router and rule on my workstation firewall. Now I have a working button on a webpage that can call "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8088/API/?Function=Fade&Duration=1000&Input=5" and launches what I want.

What's not working: The problem is, this takes the person who presses it to a "Function completed successfully." message. I'm trying to find a way to have them click this button, but not be taken off the page they are on.

I've gone down a rabbit hole of webhooks, API & cURL commands (functionality all available on Wix). However, looks like the learning curve is going to be pretty steep to figure this tiny operation out (spent 5 hours getting nowhere).

The goal is a customized page with a couple fun animated buttons where guest can launch graphics, and not be taken off the page they are on, or end up with 100 new "Function completed successfully." windows.

Thanks!
doggy  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 8:52:14 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)

follow the reference in this post and check the code

https://forums.vmix.com/...terface-and-NOTHING-ELSE
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
Josemite on 6/29/2020(UTC)
Josemite  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 10:24:26 AM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post

follow the reference in this post and check the code

https://forums.vmix.com/...terface-and-NOTHING-ELSE

Thank you. I had seen that before I posted. I downloaded it and played with it, but it seemed like extreme overkill for what I was hoping to accomplish, as I don't want to give people a control interface.

I want to add one big friendly stupid button to an already existing webpage that they can click on multiple times and stay on the page.

Which I have this 99% working, except when they click it, it takes them to a new "Function completed successfully." page.

I'll get started on the learning curve, hopefully I can post a solution soon.

dmwkr  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 4:20:00 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 107 post(s)
I'm not sure — have you noticed that there is an option to uncheck "Show in web controller" for every shortcut you have set up? If you don't need the web controller for other purposes you can uncheck all but one shortcut.
thanks 1 user thanked dmwkr for this useful post.
Josemite on 6/30/2020(UTC)
stigaard  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 4:45:08 PM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
I cannot recommend having a direct way from the web into your internal network and vMix. If you need some kind of counter or other similar functionality. Instead i would use a gateway service, database or similar, which only exposes the specific desired functionality and not the full vMix API.
Josemite  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 5:42:13 PM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Originally Posted by: stigaard Go to Quoted Post
I cannot recommend having a direct way from the web into your internal network and vMix. If you need some kind of counter or other similar functionality. Instead i would use a gateway service, database or similar, which only exposes the specific desired functionality and not the full vMix API.

Not sure if you’re talking to me. My plan was going to use firewall rules to allow only 4 specific people access to my forwarded port, or maybe webhost server IP if needed. Also, something I’d turn off after streaming.

The functionality is for them to be able to smash big fun animated button and launch a video. It’s basically a drinking game. I have it working, except for that it opens a confirmation page.

I could install cURL on their systems an make a custom icon/button that would run the API url in the bacground, yet this seemed inelegant and hard to keep on top of for 4 people, if I made changes. This is also easy to accomplish with a website button on Elgato Stream Deck & the launch in background option... but again, I’d have to help them set it up and a pain to keep updated if I made changes. A private webpage that I could just share with them seemed the most flexible.
Josemite  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 5:51:44 PM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure — have you noticed that there is an option to uncheck "Show in web controller" for every shortcut you have set up? If you don't need the web controller for other purposes you can uncheck all but one shortcut.

Didn’t see that, interesting... thanks. Might come in handy later.

Still seems like a lot to be showing the 4 idiots I’m working with, when all they need is one big fat fun button.

I’ll start going through tutorials and learning API, cURL, webhooks or whatever I have to, until figure it out. Just was crossing fingers maybe somebody on here had done something like it & knew how to call the vMix API URL without opening a confirmation page.
doggy  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 5:57:25 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Originally Posted by: Josemite Go to Quoted Post

Still seems like a lot to be showing the 4 idiots I’m working with,

Josemite  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:50:53 AM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Originally Posted by: Josemite Go to Quoted Post

Still seems like a lot to be showing the 4 idiots I’m working with,

I say 4 idiots lovingly. They are just the kind of guys that won't use anything, if there is much complexity to get in their way. When this pandemic is over, I'm going to try and get it working with a big red 'FIBARO Button' that just sits on the table in front of them.
doggy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:19:04 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
They are just the kind of guys that won't use anything, if there is much complexity to get in their way

if they can handle smaller buttons than the fibaro ones , with nice graphics of choice on them consider a Stream Deck ( it can do webinstructions )
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
Josemite on 6/30/2020(UTC)
Josemite  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:41:39 AM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Quote:
They are just the kind of guys that won't use anything, if there is much complexity to get in their way

if they can handle smaller buttons than the fibaro ones , with nice graphics of choice on them consider a Stream Deck ( it can do webinstructions )

Totally!

For one of them, I am going with a 6 button Elgato Stream Deck. It really works great with the static IP API string & using the 'Access in background' check box. There is also a Stream Deck APP, for when being wired into a computer is a problem. Pretty excited about that APP, as I can give somebody else 15 easy buttons on a iPad to trigger content during a live show (which will take a lot of pressure off me).

Stream Deck