logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mppfeffer  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 6:32:31 AM(UTC)
mppfeffer

Groups: Registered
United States

We recently switched to vMix for our live stream. Since then, we've experienced a wide range of issues from triggers randomly not working to settings that previously worked no longer working. I finally got the system to work, in some fashion, through Restream but I now have an issue where the video is very "jerky." (I apologize for not knowing the technical term) It plays as though it is speeding up and slowing down. In addition to this, there is latency in audio monitoring. I expect this to some extent but it ranges from .5 seconds to 2 full seconds and it is quite distracting. If I turn the headphone volume down, I can't hear my guests and I've tried many different configurations with the delay setting.

As for the video, we upgraded our broadband speed to 30 Mbps up and that has actually improved the video quality to its current "jerky" status. We are currently using a URayTech H.264 HDMI Encoder but this still doesn't seem to be enough. At this point, I think my boss would hang on long enough to work out the rest of the kinks if we could just get rid of the audio latency in the headphones.

Please help and don't be afraid to explain it like you would to a toddler. I have zero experience with video and streaming. I am actually an audio engineer, which is why the headphone situation is so frustrating because I've done all of the typical fixes and none of them has fixed the issue.

Thanks in advance.
mavik  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 7:35:09 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Please detail your vmix config.

Generally, in the output settings set your IEM to be used as the headset audio output.
Josemite  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 7:36:52 AM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mppfeffer Go to Quoted Post
... If I turn the headphone volume down, I can't hear my guests and I've tried many different configurations with the delay setting.

As a fellow noob to vMix, maybe my stumble can help you (I spent two days struggling with this).

I had issue where I was hearing myself on delay, because I had setup the vMix Callers input with the audio source 'Headphones' instead of 'Master'. Which meant I had to hear my own voice on a delay if I wanted to hear them in the headphones. Right clicking on the input and changing their 'Audio Source' to 'Master' fixed it for me.

Here is my original post asking for help where it was solved for me.

https://forums.vmix.com/...one-guest-can-t-hear-him

After finding my solution, I got the feeling the defaults for vMix aren't really setup for the "producer" to be on Mic. Which can be a big hurdle out of the gates when you're coming from other streaming services that are built around the assumption the guy at the controls is also the talent.

thanks 1 user thanked Josemite for this useful post.
mppfeffer on 7/1/2020(UTC)
mppfeffer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2020 6:04:17 AM(UTC)
mppfeffer

United States

Thank you for sharing your own experience. I also entered into this with the assumption that the defaults on vMix were set for the dual role of host/producer. Upon further digging and some review from an experienced colleague, we have determined that the settings are all correct and that this is a hardware issue. We are still building our studio and just wanted to get going with our show even while we are waiting on the last pieces to arrive.

I look forward to being able to share our progress as we continue moving forward.