logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Salter  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2020 3:58:20 AM(UTC)
Salter

Groups: Registered
Canada

Hello folks.

I switched from a Macbook Pro/ecamm setup that simply "melted" under the strain. Built a PC that'll be dedicated to my studio and started toying with vMix and I think I'll stick with it (tried Wirecast too). Clearly a very powerful solution and it seems that features, support and community are all highly regarded according to many (not a fan of the 1980's GUI though ;-).

Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

1) I'll be using my main PC for creating a broadcast (inputs, titles, etc.) and will then run it on a different PC in my studio. Assets will be stored in my MS One Drive file management system. I have 1gb up/down fiber so it's very fast to update the playback PC's local copy of the files even though It's going through the cloud not local WAN. Question: will vMix figure out the path to assets on both PCs? I'm simply using a standard MS One Drive path on both. If not, will updating one asset on the broadcasting/streaming PC, update the paths for the rest of them in the broadcast file? (this is pretty common "offline" functionality with the average NLE)

2) I currently have a cheap 27" 1080p monitor positioned just below the Sony a7 camera in front of me. I'd like to use it during streaming/recording to keep an yee on the vMix UI. I'm using StreamDeck as my control surface so I will avoid unnecessary interaction directly with the UI. The monitor is positioned around 3ft away from me. From your experience: is 1440p monitor an improvement in so far as how much of the vMix UI you like to see? (I'm a one person operation). Is there any advantage to 29:1 ration monitor for the same reason? Finally: is there a dramatic difference going for a high end monitor with rec 709 and all other such pro quality features? My thinking: cheaper monitors better reflect how the average viewer will see my stuff on Youtube. So when I tweak my studio lights and do some color correction in vMix it'll be truer to what my audience will see.

Thanks in advance for sharing your insights!!

Salter.