logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DWAM  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 5:04:14 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Groups: Registered
Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

Just upgraded to vMix 23 yesterday and found a possible bug with Mix inputs that won't respect the play/restart/pause settings for video files on transitioning.

How to reproduce the issue ?

- load several video files in a project
- set them to autostart, pause or restart on transitioning and test their behaviour when switched to PGM
- create a Mix input
- use it to "sub-mix" these video files, either on their own or within multiview inputs

Worse, when switching from a video file playing in PGM to a Mix input having the same video selected, the video file is paused

Only way to get these video files to play after transition to PGM (or any other OUT) when used in Mix inputs is to use the play button from the original input.

Already asked Doggy to check on his side > same behaviour therefore this Bug report. I have been thinking whether this could be a "normal" behaviour by design but I can't seem to find any legit reason that would justify this.

Thanks for your interest, hope this can be fixed soon...

Bien à vous,
Guillaume, aka DWAM

EDIT : Regarding this, the manual indicates
Quote:

Restrictions
The Mix input is intended as a basic video mixer/switcher only, as a result the following features are not available:
- Stinger transitions
- Overlays (inputs can still be setup manually through the standard input MultiView feature)
- Auto play/pause/restart of inputs. (This is to prevent unexpected situations where inputs are used by both the main mix and an input mix)
- Audio auto mixing.
- T-Bar transitions

I understand the potential problems with PAUSE or RESTART options but I don't understand why or how the PLAY could be an issue. This makes the Mix inputs completely unusable for video files...
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 10:04:22 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ DWAM

AFAIK, this is by design, as you mention it is written in the Documentation:
https://www.vmix.com/help23/Mix.html

Restrictions

The Mix input is intended as a basic video mixer/switcher only, as a result the following features are not available:

Stinger transitions
Overlays (inputs can still be setup manually through the standard input MultiView feature)
Auto play/pause/restart of inputs. (This is to prevent unexpected situations where inputs are used by both the main mix and an input mix)
Audio auto mixing.
T-Bar transitions

I agree, this makes it somewhat difficult to use effectively, but Mix 1 is the primary focus of the program, and I understand the concern of "unintended consequences".

Ice
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 10:29:24 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Yes and I truly understand the issues RESTART or PAUSE options could have (when wrongly set) but I disagree for the AUTO START feature and I can't figure out a situation where it could conflict with something else when used in a SubMix Input.

IMHO, point of Mix Inputs is to bring production value (with transition effects) in multiviews and for OUTS 2/3/4. If we precisely can't start a video on transitions with Mix inputs in these situations, it brings the opposite of production value : a nice transition effect to a paused video ! Apart from that, everything works as it should when the video options are set correctly but this I can't understand...

I will certainly post a video later to demonstrate typical use cases where I feel it makes no sense...