logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
siksikasoundz  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 4:35:30 PM(UTC)
siksikasoundz

Groups: Registered

First off I wanted to express my appreciation for the simplicity of this call in option. I switched from OBS entirely for this feature. I understand there are limitations on call audio quality and it will probably never be perfect. I'm ok with that because of the interactive capabilities between callers and pure ease of this vmix call. I've used desktop cap for skype and facebook but the caller interaction and ease just weren't there and it gave arise to a host of new audio issues like virtual cables and such.

In vmixcall whenever I have someone sing live music the mics seem to auto adjust. It drastically decreases the quality of the call. When the beta vmixcall first came out there was an option when caller logged in that was able to turn off mic auto gain and echo cancellation. When we ran a test at that time the audio improved quite a bit. Still not perfect but it was getting tolerable. Now a couple days after the test when we went live the option to select was no longer available in the beta. Sound audio quality is decreasing again just when the music starts getting good.

My question is this, is there settings to shut off auto gain and the echo cancellation again on my end or the callers?

What settings should I be using to get the best audio for live musicians on both our ends? Some guests just use phone, some have audio I/O and the irig. Even the guests using a decent audio I/O seem to suffer from this issue on live stream.

One last issue is all of a sudden the singing speeds up. The callers feed just increases, i am not even able to tell it was slow or anything it just speeds up out of nowhere. Is that a buffer setting or something?

Thanks for any help in advance
lestra  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 2:02:03 AM(UTC)
lestra

Saint Kitts And Nevis

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
VmixCall is about easy of use and not about quality. For quality (video and audio) use SRT.
Vince Beck  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 2:43:31 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Use beta.vmixcall.com, you can uncheck echo cancellation and check stereo. That should vastly improve quality.
siksikasoundz  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 2:57:19 AM(UTC)
siksikasoundz

Thank vince if you read my post fully thats exactly what i was doing. The option to deselect was removed, as indicated. Is it moved somewhere else?

Lestra thanks. Quality did improve with beta version im not sure if you actually used it, my first post agrees with you 100%, thanks for repeating it. If you use vmix call and not SRT, I'm asking for what are the best settings for audio in vmixcall for live musicians? Not use this or that, I have and all options have their issues as indicated in my first post. The whole point of using vmix call is ease of use for interactive capabilities. That function is really great in my books and I'm willing to give up a bit of audio quality for that capability.

Maybe I should re-ask question to, is anyone using vmixcall for live musicians, what audio settings work best for you?
Vince Beck  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 3:17:26 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I did miss a line it seems :-)

The echo cancellation option is still there, you might have to use another browser: https://imgur.com/a/Dp1LFfD

How are you evaluating quality? Locally from one computer to another?

I don't use it for music in particular but have used it with video playback. Webrtc is ultimately designed for voice but given high-end hardware on both sides, echo cancellation turned off and a good peer to peer connection, the quality is very good.

In the end, if you want really reliable, good quality music on a live stream, you'll have to pre-record and playback.
siksikasoundz  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 3:35:42 AM(UTC)
siksikasoundz

Thanks Vince. I just reopened beta and looked around and I see the settings are moved now to within the call. Theres a new option on there now to force stereo, I wonder how well that works and if it affects anything else in audio. First time i used the beta it was at login screen. Looks like stressing and panicking just before live stream didn't help me as i was searching for the options. I'm new to vmix and live streaming and love how easy this is to use over OBS.

I'm evaluating audio quality from the callers source computer which is offsite, by maintaining of audio levels just like I would do for a live PA. I am looking for a consistent audio level in volume and frequencies free of warbling from auto audio level volume and EQ adjustments, I'd prefer if any levels were being changed its due to my adjustments.

The beta version actually improved this quite a bit. Its not perfect but its much better.