logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ChaserHUN  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 4:01:13 AM(UTC)
ChaserHUN

Groups: Registered
Hungary

Hey all!

So I downloaded the 60 day trial. I want to use it to audition for a band. I use my laptops built in cam and a Line6 POD HD500X for my sound.

What I did:
Add input, added my laptops cam
Add audio input, added ASIO POD HD500X
So far so good, tried it out, recording, the video and audio are in perfect sync.
Then add audio input, added an mp3 track I want to play to.
Pressed play, it play the track. I hit record, start playing to the track, seems fine.
But after this when I watcj it back, the recording is out of sync with the mp3 track. But why???? The cam and and POD is still in sync, but the recordings made with them are out of sync with the mp3. How can I fix this????
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 4:49:31 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ChaserHUN Go to Quoted Post
But after this when I watch it back, the recording is out of sync with the mp3 track. But why????

I suspect the answer, in a nutshell, is LATENCY.

When you play the MP3 track the sound goes straight into the mix for the recording. But what you hear to play along with might have slight latency (delay) by the time you hear it in headphones or via speakers. Then your sound going back into vMix via the HD500X has some latency too - about the same latency as occurs in the video input, which is why you are are sync with the video from your camera, but both of those are delayed behind the MP3 track.

One way of fixing this is to play the MP3 from an external player (software or hardware) and take the audio into vMix via a similar interface to the HD500X so that both have the same input latency. Or you could create your audio mix externally (with a hardware mixer) so that what you feed into vMix is effectively the master audio mix.
ChaserHUN  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 4:57:43 AM(UTC)
ChaserHUN

Hungary

Originally Posted by: zenvideo Go to Quoted Post
But after this when I watch it back, the recording is out of sync with the mp3 track. But why????

I suspect the answer, in a nutshell, is LATENCY.

When you play the MP3 track the sound goes straight into the mix for the recording. But what you hear to play along with might have slight latency (delay) by the time you hear it in headphones or via speakers. Then your sound going back into vMix via the HD500X has some latency too - about the same latency as occurs in the video input, which is why you are are sync with the video from your camera, but both of those are delayed behind the MP3 track.

One way of fixing this is to play the MP3 from an external player (software or hardware) and take the audio into vMix via a similar interface to the HD500X so that both have the same input latency. Or you could create your audio mix externally (with a hardware mixer) so that what you feed into vMix is effectively the master audio mix.

Would that work if I plug my phone into the POD HD-s MP3 input and play the backing track through the POD that way?
zenvideo  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 8:12:44 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Would that work if I plug my phone into the POD HD-s MP3 input and play the backing track through the POD that way?

It will if you can perform the mixing in the POD and feed that mix to vMix. Presumably you know how the POD works, since you own one (and I don't)?

I did have a look at the manual to try to find out about the MP3 input, and it says:-

17. CD/MP3 Input - Connect a CD player, MP3 player, drum machine
or other device here, and you’ll hear it through the Phones,
Unbalanced Output and Balanced Output. Use your
device’s output control to adjust the volume relative to your guitar
tone. Start with the volume on your device at its lowest setting and
bring it up to the volume you desire.

That implies that you would need to be using either of the "Phones, Unbalanced Output and Balanced Output" for your feed into vMix.
ChaserHUN  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 8:28:29 PM(UTC)
ChaserHUN

Hungary

It will if you can perform the mixing in the POD and feed that mix to vMix. Presumably you know how the POD works, since you own one (and I don't)?

I did have a look at the manual to try to find out about the MP3 input, and it says:-

That implies that you would need to be using either of the "Phones, Unbalanced Output and Balanced Output" for your feed into vMix.

I tried it and it didn't work. I plugged in my phone, but the backing track wasn't recorded, only just my guitar playing, The whole point for me for using vmix so that I don't have to sync things up. I hate doing syncing.
zenvideo  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 9:41:18 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

I tried it and it didn't work. I plugged in my phone, but the backing track wasn't recorded, only just my guitar playing, The whole point for me for using vmix so that I don't have to sync things up. I hate doing syncing.

And did you use either the "Phones, Unbalanced Output and Balanced Output" for your feed into vMix, as I suggested? The bottom line is that vMix isn't designed for doing what you want to do, in the way that you were trying to do it (i.e. using vMix both as the MP3 player and mixer). Your problem can be solved, but not by using vMix as the player AND feeding that signal directly into the final mix. What goes into the mix needs to be delayed, and to do that means taking it out and back in again, one way or another.

Using a "Virtual Audio Cable" could work. (1) Send the MP3 audio ONLY to a bus (e.g. Bus A) and NOT to the Master. (2) Set the Bus A output to go to the virtual audio cable. (3) Add a new audio input and select the output of the Virtual Audio Cable as the source. (4) Do a test recording to check the sync between this input and the guitar/POD and add a delay to either one as appropriate (in the vMix audio settings for the input). Once calibrated, save the project so that you can reuse it whenever required.