logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikekay  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 1:41:52 PM(UTC)
mikekay

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have been tasked with creating a streaming solution that can be sent to clients so that we can maintain high production audio and video quality. This would have to be an easy turnkey solution. I imagine a setup where everything is pre-connected and it comes out of a flight case - gets plugged in - connected to the internet - where I then use remote access and run the computer....this way I can see the stream, get the client to adjust lighting, camera placement, and test audio before going live.....Here are my questions:

A PTZ camera. They now come NDI capable - is this or USB based best?
Instead of a PTZ, is there such a thing as a IP gimbal....

We would stream these clients to our studio where the actual broadcast will take place. I can imagine a bunch of ways to do this. What would YOU do?

Budget of course is always a concern - but they are asking me to build it.....

Any ideas appreciated.
KnKproductions  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2020 12:24:48 PM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mikekay Go to Quoted Post
I have been tasked with creating a streaming solution that can be sent to clients so that we can maintain high production audio and video quality. This would have to be an easy turnkey solution. I imagine a setup where everything is pre-connected and it comes out of a flight case - gets plugged in - connected to the internet - where I then use remote access and run the computer....this way I can see the stream, get the client to adjust lighting, camera placement, and test audio before going live.....Here are my questions:

A PTZ camera. They now come NDI capable - is this or USB based best?
Instead of a PTZ, is there such a thing as a IP gimbal....

We would stream these clients to our studio where the actual broadcast will take place. I can imagine a bunch of ways to do this. What would YOU do?

Budget of course is always a concern - but they are asking me to build it.....

Any ideas appreciated.

I'd triage the most important things:

-Great Audio
-Properly framed video
-Lighting
-Camera

Now what will each of those need?

-Great Audio
*some kind of microphone attached to the talent. A lapel mic is probably the best bet here, and wired. No batteries to fail on a wired mic, and simple enough for them to clip on.
*send this to a Zoom handy recorder that can act as a digital audio input when plugged into the computer.
*How will the guest hear? Including in-air headphones that multiple people use is nasty. Would have to send a new pair to each client and have them keep them for future use. They can plug into the Zoom handy recorder and have that be their monitor for everything.

-Properly framed video
*Must be on a tripod. There are many small and portable tripods are widely avaialble, I use the Benro Angel aluminum tripod when traveling.
*local or remote control of the tripod head? I recommend local to the client and you would talk them through the framing. A geared tripod head makes this really easy to get it level and straight. Can leave the baseplate on the camera so they don't have to use any tools.

-Lighting
*SMALL LED PANEL LIGHTS!!! Easy to plug in. Include no more than three: one for the key light, one for a hairlight or rimlight, and one to light the background.
*Each one will need its own tripod... get the cheapest one's you can find for light stands.

-Camera
*I highly recommend the ZCam E2C. Can be completely used with one ethernet cable, providing PoE, data, and control of settings through the computer. Zcam has software that turns the video feed from the camera into an NDI source and it works great. Plus the camera is small and compact. Couple this with a 24mm MFT cine lens (rokinon has low cost options) and you'll have an outstanding looking image!
*Also very easy to include an elgato hdmi converter and just use an hdmi cable from the camera to the device. Less headache than having the user go through another software program!

You'll need a computer to run their end, just use a laptop that has some decent capabilities, can probably get away with an $800 unit.
You will have to have everything completely set up to just turn on and open vMix. Might have to talk the guest through a few things but since they will be receivng the gear in the mail well in advance of the show, you'll have plenty of time to talk them through the setup.

I think all this could easily fit inside a medium sized pelican storm case with the pluck n pull foam.

Matter of fact, if you like how this sounds then message me and I can help you come up with an actual parts list and help you test it/set it up.
Lemme know!
mikekay  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 9:03:11 PM(UTC)
mikekay

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
GREAT! This is awesome.....Appreciate the post.
Wired lav most likely....but wireless is not off the table with units like Rode Go....For an audio interface most likely going with Dante - they now have single channel inputs so any mic can basically go direct into the computer.

How they hear.....maybe not headphones, but from the computer itself - a small bluetooth speaker? What they need to hear is a separate mix coming from Vmix off a buss, so a speaker may not interfere with their feed too much - specially gated.....but this I have to think more about....

LED panels - I have been looking at the RGB rechargeable ones - they are not TOO expensive. LOVE the cam you suggest, but a question....at that price I can get a full on PTZ camera, and have full access via IP protocols and some of these support NDI now - plus be able to add motion to the live stream. This would also help with framing.

I will be going with an Intel NUC for the computer. Tiny, powerful, with Thunderbolt 3 - and a small monitor, like 7" monitor attached right on the tripod. - this is mostly just for the client to get the unit connected to the internet - once on, I will run the computer remotely.

Taking a deep dive into the suggested camera. This has been most helpful and got me thinking straight......Will drop you a line in a few days.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

KnKproductions  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2020 1:45:38 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mikekay Go to Quoted Post
GREAT! This is awesome.....Appreciate the post.
Wired lav most likely....but wireless is not off the table with units like Rode Go....For an audio interface most likely going with Dante - they now have single channel inputs so any mic can basically go direct into the computer.

How they hear.....maybe not headphones, but from the computer itself - a small bluetooth speaker? What they need to hear is a separate mix coming from Vmix off a buss, so a speaker may not interfere with their feed too much - specially gated.....but this I have to think more about....

LED panels - I have been looking at the RGB rechargeable ones - they are not TOO expensive. LOVE the cam you suggest, but a question....at that price I can get a full on PTZ camera, and have full access via IP protocols and some of these support NDI now - plus be able to add motion to the live stream. This would also help with framing.

I will be going with an Intel NUC for the computer. Tiny, powerful, with Thunderbolt 3 - and a small monitor, like 7" monitor attached right on the tripod. - this is mostly just for the client to get the unit connected to the internet - once on, I will run the computer remotely.

Taking a deep dive into the suggested camera. This has been most helpful and got me thinking straight......Will drop you a line in a few days.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

The great thing about that ZCam what it offers for the size and price. It just can't be beat... every non-vMix video conference I'm in, people are in awe of the picture quality coming through.
From the computer I'm at right now I can't get to YouTube, but search for "Six2 Media" on YT and you'll see a bunch of recent streams that all use zcam on my end.

The NUC's are great too!! I have the Hades Canyon one. It's got some power but it's not full blown desktop powerful... more like a really nice high end laptop kind of power. The I/O capability is so great especially with TWO ethernet ports and TWO TB3 ports!

With everything being small form factor I think you could very well fit everything into one padded case no problem.
I also think it'd be best to not have the PTZ options that way you save on weight and less moving parts to break... talk the end-user through putting the tripod together with the geared head and leveling/focus.

Lemme know!