logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skoota  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 1:00:53 PM(UTC)
skoota

Groups: Registered
Australia

Hi All,

We are looking at building a new compact/portable vMix workstation and would prefer to not have a large GPU. I have been looking into getting a CPU which supports Intel Quick Sync for NVENC and NVDEC. Does vMix support Quick Sync?

Searching the forum shows quite a few posts from a few years ago, but I could not find a definitive answer. I'd also welcome any thoughts on using Quick Sync as opposed to a dedicated GPU.

Thanks!
ask  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 1:53:54 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
You can certainly run vMix with onboard Graphics, however from experience you will find that your CPU will quickly start struggling when you start adding significant numbers of inputs, and/or recording & streaming. For a modest number all will be ok.
skoota  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:01:38 PM(UTC)
skoota

Australia

Originally Posted by: ask Go to Quoted Post
You can certainly run vMix with onboard Graphics, however from experience you will find that your CPU will quickly start struggling when you start adding significant numbers of inputs, and/or recording & streaming. For a modest number all will be ok.

Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that Quick Sync was some custom stuff on the Intel silicon which highly optimised encoding and decoding...vastly improving performance over just standard onboard graphics?
ask  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:08:02 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: skoota Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that Quick Sync was some custom stuff on the Intel silicon which highly optimised encoding and decoding...vastly improving performance over just standard onboard graphics?

It has existed on Intel CPU's since 2011. So you have been using it if your PC is younger than that. AFAIK is does not support NVENC
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
skoota on 6/14/2020(UTC)
skoota  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 7:12:53 PM(UTC)
skoota

Australia

Originally Posted by: skoota Go to Quoted Post

It has existed on Intel CPU's since 2011. So you have been using it if your PC is younger than that. AFAIK is does not support NVENC

Thanks again for your help and advice :)