logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LucaL  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 12:45:29 AM(UTC)
LucaL

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Greetings to all

I am in the process of wring an official quote for a potential client (music festival) at the end of July
where we need to film and stream the different concerts over a period of 4 hours two nights in a row.

This is all good but here's the deal: The festival is on two different stages that are literally 950km apart.

The first stage will have 3 x Cameras (2 operated)

The second stage is a bit smaller and will have one fixed wide angle shot and one operated camera.

I have a crew of four people at stage A and two people at stage B

We have to be able to switch from one stage to the other in the final output rather seamlessly.

For the moment that is what I have:

• One 4k copy of Vmix (on a decent tower) that has BM Decklink recorder and monitor card connected to an Atem TV studio Hd.

• I also have a laptop with an Atem mini (not the pro version).

Still debating about the cameras to use ... But Ill get there...

I am really open to suggestions about how I would go about this little challenge for the safest and bump proof setup possible.

Please disregard my average English, I hope it is clear enough !

-L

DWAM  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 1:12:40 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
There are several ways to deal with such situations

My recommendation is to create a central control room in charge of receiving feeds from both locations and to stream to the final destination.

Here's how I do when I have pro network connections in each location

- site 1 streams a clean feed to YouTube AND another one (best quality possible) to the control room
- site 2 streams a clean feed to YouTube AND another one (best quality possible) to the control room
- control room can produce the "official" stream with graphics, ads, jingles, schedules and so on

You can decide if direct streams to YT are public or not. Reason for this is redundancy, if stream to control room is broken, control room can still use the stream off youtube
If they're all 3 public, you can use the multi cam option which offers the audience the ability to switch from one stage to another on their own

There are many other solutions but this workflow is my favorite as it offers more production value and safety.

My 2 cts
Guillaume
LucaL  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 1:20:13 AM(UTC)
LucaL

Canada

How would you go about streaming to "the control room" ? Using some sort of rtmp server as an input in VMIX ?

Also I feel like I would be a little understaffed for this kind of setup. But I still have to wrap my head around it ...

Peutêtre que tu as envies de venir faire un tour à Montréal pour des petites vacances fin juillet ;-)

-L
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 2:15:32 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Oh I understand that you maybe sold the project before thinking about the workflow and made sure to get the right budget for it. That's a pity and not a clever thing to do. There are always several possible worflows each having pros and cons and obviously different costs. It's up to the client to decide what they want to buy, so I always quote several options and never sell the whole package if they can't afford it but I want them to understand there are different quality and reliability levels so that they can provide more money for next time if they want more.

Quote:
How would you go about streaming to "the control room" ? Using some sort of rtmp server as an input in VMIX ?

Again several protocols options here
- NDI over the internet
- SRT
- TS over UDP (my favorite)

I would not go for a protocol that requires a server, so no RTMP (more encoding degradation, more potential points of failure). Point to point stream with excellent stability and image/audio quality performance is the way to go.

I'd love to visit Montreal one day (my daughter lives there btw) but I'm certainly too expensive for this project. Next year maybe ? I have 2 or 3 good friends (and excellent producers with equipments) in Montreal, let me know if you need help.
LucaL  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 6:13:10 AM(UTC)
LucaL

Canada

Hey Guillaume ,

I did not sell anything to anyone yet. They usually have quite a lot of budget for this festival but obviously this year might be a little different.

So I am trying to offer them a Quote/Devis with multiple possibilities. But my intuition about their needs is probably right:
No crowds , no ticket sold , but they still have to pay the musicians. It is going to be rather modest.

That being said, I have quite a bit of experience shooting events, but I never really had to stream two different locations on a single output.

I will certainly check out TS over UDP.

The festival is not in Montreal so we have to remember that the Internet connection will be average at best.
I'm sure it will be pretty stable (the town auditorium/concert halls) but not very fast and clearly not professional.

Probably in the means of 60Mbit/s Down and 10Mbit/s UP

I eventually might need to ask you another question or two if you don't mind.

For the moment I don't think I need to reach out to other producers here in Montreal. But things could change fast...

Thanks

-L