logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lukeskope  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2020 3:45:35 AM(UTC)
lukeskope

Groups: Registered
United States

Fairly new to vMix but not production.

I have an animated lower 3rd background with no text, rendered from After Effects - overlay 1
I also have a layer that contains my lower 3rd names titles, taking data from an excel spreadsheet. overlay 2

I have my trigger setup so the animation plays on overlay 1, the name and title fades in on overlay 2, pauses, then both fade out together. This works perfect.

My issue is, sometime my director will ask to see a lower 3rd in preview just to check that the correct name is ready to go.

If I right click overlay 1, the animation plays in the preview, but the name and title then fade on program. I can understand programatically why this is the case, but can't figure how to build a trigger to do what I'd like.

Something along the lines of an if/else, if overlay 1 is in preview, overlay 2 is also in preview, else both go to program.

Any insight, or a better way to build my lower 3rds?

Thanks!
doggy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2020 3:59:11 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 922 time(s) in 761 post(s)
why have them on separate overlays if they are part of basically one lower third compared to have created them as one title or combined as a multiview
That would eliminate the need for the triggers and jsut click that input to have it in preview (or even double click it to see it larger)

lukeskope  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2020 4:05:51 AM(UTC)
lukeskope

United States

because the animation need to finish before the name and title fades in, if I combine them in a multiview the text will come in immediately, before the animation finishes, unless I'm missing something.

The background animation is not something I could easily recreate in GT.

I could easily bring all the names into AE and render a bunch of different lower 3rds but that is a brute force solution and won't let me add names last minute.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2020 4:11:53 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

ok, get your point , makes sense

if i understand your trigger process right they are in the animation input and not any in the text LT input.
In that case putting the text LT in preview should not be an issue at all but so why not preview just the text LT as that has no triggers anyways ?

BTW which triggers are you using?
lukeskope  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2020 4:15:17 AM(UTC)
lukeskope

United States

Yeah I thought of that but when it's black text you can't see it without the background
lukeskope  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2020 4:19:07 AM(UTC)
lukeskope

United States

Trigger
OnOverlayIn
Function
OverlayInput2In
Delay 1000ms
doggy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2020 4:27:58 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Originally Posted by: lukeskope Go to Quoted Post
Yeah I thought of that but when it's black text you can't see it without the background

So your text holder is transparent ?

FYI what i described works with these triggers on the "Animated" input

trigger.JPG (22kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

If you have something else in preview to contrast the text and you right click the (any) overlay button of the text input it will overlay there , right click again to cancel
If you left click on the änimated input overlay containing the triggers all will work as intended regardless if your text input is in preview

PS create a shortcut to preview the text input (potentially with adding a contrasting preview first) will make your live even easier when yelled at, sorry asked for it ;-)
lukeskope  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2020 4:38:46 AM(UTC)
lukeskope

United States

cool, that is the trigger sequence I have been using and to take lower 3rds to program, and it works flawlessly. Point taken about just having something with contrast in preview so can quick check the name. Thanks for your help.
lukeskope  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2020 4:49:54 AM(UTC)
lukeskope

United States

Thank you, this solution will work, mapped k key to bring solid color and name/title to preview. Mapped L to launch animation which triggers the name and title in program, can quickly preview upcoming name and easily take the lower 3rd to program.
lukeskope  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:21:48 AM(UTC)
lukeskope

United States

I actually found what I think is the correct way to address this issue. GT title designer can input a image sequence so instead of rending a .mov I rendered a .png sequence, imported that into GT and set up my animation and timing within the title designer. No triggers, no multiple overlays. Easy!