logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
IEBAcom  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 1:54:10 PM(UTC)
IEBAcom

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Having just finished a show where a remote guest was trying to text me in the chat part of the Call Manager, I was stunned to realize that the Call Manager only gives _me_ a notification sound when _I_ send a text to others, and it stays completely silent when others are trying to reach me. That makes no sense.

What the Call Manager needs to do is make an audible notification (ring, buzz, whatever), that's louder than the program I'm directing, so I can be alerted to the fact that someone is trying to reach me by text, even if the window isn't opened, or in front of me (I have three screens).

Right now, I have a very annoyed client who is seriously asking- what's the point of a chat window if I don't know they're trying to reach me?
And that is a very valid question that I pass right on to the vMix crew.

Add a check box to be able to turn them off if someone else doesn't need them, but not having it make a notification sound when someone is sending me messages really defeats the purpose.
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 3:17:14 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

Just to clarify, the reason there is no sound, is that could end up being picked up by a microphone
and introduced into the production, which is obviously not ideal.

A visual alert could be possible, so perhaps that is more in line with what you are looking for?

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
KnKproductions on 5/28/2020(UTC)
IEBAcom  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 12:12:16 AM(UTC)
IEBAcom

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I can see a visual alert being an alternative to an audio notification.

But I believe the majority of vMix producers are either using headphones to better assess the audio of the program (which means the audio alert would not be heard by the microphone) or, moreover, the _vast_ majority of vMix users are not using vMix call as a "skype" or "zoom" type of chat where they are mixing the show AND in the production, AND not wearing headphones. That tiny percentage probably don't need the notification at all because they're already talking with everyone in the show.

Dedicated, invisible producer/directors are behind the scenes, and their audio (if they have audio involved at all) is not part of the show. So an audible notification would immediately key them in to the fact that soemone is trying to reach them by another channel already built into vMix. (as opposed to havign to use a second device and sending a text message, which is what my guest had to do to reach me when the in-app chat went unnoticed.

Make a checkbox to disable notification audio for those who don't want it.
But the need for producers to be alerted to a remote guest trying to send the producer a message without saying it into their in-show microphone, is real.
advisiontv  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 12:47:51 AM(UTC)
advisiontv

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Yes - I like this! My call manager always ends up scaled down and hidden in the corner when I'm running a show, so an audio alert (checkable ti turn it on or off), or something to bring it to the top, or a flashing icon under the central clock to say I have a message would be useful.
KnKproductions  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 2:40:12 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I, too, have no idea if someone is messaging me (although I know they aren't). A flashing indicator for the call manager on the taskbar would be superb!
clafarge  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 1:06:42 PM(UTC)
clafarge

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I'd say eliminate the Sender's [ding], and -flash- the CHAT for participants. If they have Chat closed, flash the button to beckon them to open Chat... possibly a message count on the Chat button?

Chad
dwashingtontv  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 2:43:34 PM(UTC)
dwashingtontv

+1 the visual notification.