logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Camuel  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 7:30:05 PM(UTC)
Camuel

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

I've spent a looooot of time figuring out VMix calling and audio routing through my Presonus Series iii mixer and am getting pretty close. I ran a test call yesterday with a musician who's using a Macbook Pro with a USB audio interface. We could NOT get her audio into her VMix call and eventually we just gave up and she used the internal mic on her MBP. Not ideal.

We then did a call over Streamyard and it had a simple setting for the remote caller to choose her input – USB audio interface, and boom! Good audio.

It's a challenge for me as the host to diagnose remote callers' audio rigs, but in this case I was able to work it out by calling in myself from my own Macbook Pro with a USB interface.

My caller goes through Garageband as an audio processor for FX and uses a Rogue Amoeba product called Loopback to get the processed audio back out. This worked flawlessly in Streamyard, but was extremely challenging to achieve in VMix.

I'll be testing another remote call in today with a different musician who is also on a Mac and using Garageband as a processor. He won't have Loopback installed so I'm guessing that it won't work for him either.

Is this a limitation of the browser?

I admit that I'm way out of my depth here, but am willing to put in the time to figure this out. I'd rather not use Streamyard, even though it was stupidly simple to get to work. The audio and video quality that went out over Streamyard was not good compared to what VMix can do.

Not sure there's really a question there. Just thinking out loud as I've not found anything about Garageband use in the forum and it might be useful to have a conversation.

I'm open to thoughts!
KnKproductions  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 2:57:10 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm thinking the browser defaults to whatever the default mic is on the OS when using vMix call...
Maybe try having the guest make their OS default mic the virtual loopback input, as you described, and then it would pick up.

Might work, might not... worth a try though.

Perhaps future upgrades to vMix call could include the option to share desktop/other windows, and the ability to choose audio and video sources easily.

If I can remember to do it, I'll try something similar tonight to test.
xaver  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:37:21 AM(UTC)
xaver

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KnKproductions Go to Quoted Post
I'm thinking the browser defaults to whatever the default mic is on the OS when using vMix call...
Maybe try having the guest make their OS default mic the virtual loopback input, as you described, and then it would pick up.

Might work, might not... worth a try though.

Perhaps future upgrades to vMix call could include the option to share desktop/other windows, and the ability to choose audio and video sources easily.

If I can remember to do it, I'll try something similar tonight to test.

You see https://forums.vmix.com/...-vMix-Call-Web-Site-Beta ?
thanks 1 user thanked xaver for this useful post.
Camuel on 5/19/2020(UTC)
Camuel  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 4:28:41 AM(UTC)
Camuel

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: xaver Go to Quoted Post

Oh me oh myo! Fantastic. Thanks for the heads up on this!