logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gotscottgreen  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2020 9:27:00 AM(UTC)
gotscottgreen

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey all,

I am looking to purchase a newer GPU card, and have emailed vMix twice with no response, so I thought I would post here after checking the forums for details as well.

Currently I am in the process of doing a new build. Currently using a 10 CORE i9 7th gen and a 1080ti GPU. My main question is, where is the sweet spot in the new RTX Nvidia cards? Where does the comparison with the 1080ti lay in the 20 series? Only the 2080ti has 11GB of video RAM, others are 6 or 8GB. So at what point in the 20 series am I really gaining anything over my 1080ti, what is most important to vMix on the GPU?

RAM
Speed
CUDA cores
Etc?

I am looking at various gigs with this PC, IMAG with possible Livestream and I want to be able to multicord at least 4 cameras and up to 8 if possible. I don't use but 1 or 2 NDI inputs at the most, and I only stream to one bitrate most of the time. I would also be recording one program feed as well, I usually record and multicord to MP4 around 35-50mbps to 2.5" SSD's usually Samsung 850/860 EVO's.

My goal is to use a 12CORE i9x, 32GB RAM, NVME for system SSD, and will be using a Blackmagic Quad Duo 8 channel SDI card.

Any help to get me to be able to get where I need to be in the GPU area would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Xavier
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions
TFMG  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 12:12:48 PM(UTC)
TFMG

Australia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The 20xx series (And the 1660 cards) have a newer version of the NVENC encoder on the cards, which is reportedly more efficient and better quality than the previous one.
RAM capacity and memory bandwidth + latency are what I've been lead to prioritise when determining the best card for a vMix build. Personally, I'm looking at putting a 2060 Super in my next build as they hit the 8gb of GPU RAM mark, but don't blow out my budget like a 2080 would.

Looking at how many recordings you're looking at running though, you might benefit from a Quadro card for the unlimited NVENC encoders as opposed to the RTX line that are limited to a maximum of 3 simultaneous encodes.
thanks 1 user thanked TFMG for this useful post.
gotscottgreen on 5/19/2020(UTC)
gotscottgreen  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 2:58:02 AM(UTC)
gotscottgreen

Thanks for this!!!! With using an i9 7820x 12 core, that will also handle some of the encoding too when the NVENC limit is reached, correct?
TFMG  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 8:59:06 AM(UTC)
TFMG

Australia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The i9 7820x processor is only an 8 core 16 thread CPU, not 12 core. There's not much of a retail price difference between the the i9 7820x and the i9 9900x - the latter of which is in vMix's top end reference system. In my opinion, the i9 9900x would be worth spending the little bit more money on for the extra 2 cores and 4 threads, as well as almost double the PCI-e lane count of the i9 7820x, which is important for if you need to add more capture cards later down the line.

But yes, you can use the CPU to encode any additional recordings you need once the NVENC limit is hit on the GTX\RTX cards. Just keep an eye on your CPU usage and make sure you're not pushing the limits too hard.
gotscottgreen  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2020 12:09:11 AM(UTC)
gotscottgreen

I mis-typed, I meant 7920x, I have the 12 core....it's a 2066 socket and x299 motherboard. I build an obsidian system when the 7000 series of i9's came out (2 actually, 1 for work with a 10 core).
I think I am going to pull the trigger on the RTX 4000, seems to be more of what I need and will be a beast!
Thanks for your help!

Xavier