logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rperry2394  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:18:52 PM(UTC)
rperry2394

Groups: Registered
United States

I have trying to create a mix minus for "host" who is located in my office via LAN but viewing the caller on a separate computer that I'll call "computer B".
From my primary computer, computer A, I am sending a NDI signal out to computer B so that the "host" can view caller.

The host video and audio is converted to NDI via NewTek Spark and sent to Computer A.

The problem is that the "host" is hearing her own voice in headset.

To fix the audio problem, on computer A, I went to Settings -> Outputs/NDI/SRT -> Output 1 (NDI ON) -> Gear Icon and set Audio Channels to BUSA
On computer B, click on the Gear Icon for NDI Input from computer A -> Settings -> Audio and set Audi Source to BUSA

My intent was then to turn off BUSA audio for the Host mic to create a mix minus, but when I set both computers audio to BUSA, computer B doesn't receive ANY audio. This is confusing for me as I figured if A is outputting to BUSA and B is set to receive signal from BUSA then I should be able to hear any audio coming from A??

I would appreciate to be educated on what I am missing in my setup. Much appreciated!
KnKproductions  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 12:50:47 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Is the host, on computer B, only there to view the call or is the intent to interact with the caller on computer A?

It sounds as though the host also has a copy of vmix on the computer... if this is the case, do a vmix-to-vmix call between computer A and B, send computer B the input feed for the outside vmix call, and put both the caller and computer B on the same audio bus on computer A. Since it's all on the same network between computer A and B, you'll get full resolution.

thanks 1 user thanked KnKproductions for this useful post.
rperry2394 on 5/13/2020(UTC)
rperry2394  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 6:34:55 AM(UTC)
rperry2394

United States

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I only have HD version of vMix and can only connect to one caller.
dmwkr  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 7:04:11 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Quote:
On computer B, click on the Gear Icon for NDI Input from computer A -> Settings -> Audio and set Audi Source to BUSA

Can you post a screenshot? I can't follow you on this setting.
rperry2394  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 7:42:53 AM(UTC)
rperry2394

United States

Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

Can you post a screenshot? I can't follow you on this setting.

My mistake, on computer B, I am going into Settings (upper right corner) -> Audio -> Audio Source set to BusA

Thank you dmwkr
dmwkr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 8:15:08 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Originally Posted by: rperry2394 Go to Quoted Post

My mistake, on computer B, I am going into Settings (upper right corner) -> Audio -> Audio Source set to BusA

Oh, this setting is just for the Voice shortcuts. Has nothing to do with the audio routing. See the video posted on 1st April 2019:

Let me get it straight: The NewTek Spark NDI (including the host mic) is an input only on computer A, right?

So in the Audio Mixer on computer A, you want to put all the inputs, that your host wants to hear, on bus A, so probably all inputs except the host mic.

You have already activated Bus A for the NDI output of computer A. That's fine.

On computer B, all you want to do is add the NDI input of A's NDI output. Done. No need for any bus routing on computer B.

Adding NDI input: https://www.vmix.com/hel...workDeviceInterface.html

(Maybe not running vMix on computer B is less confusing. NewTeks NDI Studio Monitor would probably be enough:
https://ndi.tv/tools/)
thanks 1 user thanked dmwkr for this useful post.
rperry2394 on 5/13/2020(UTC)
rperry2394  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 11:08:10 AM(UTC)
rperry2394

United States

Oh, this setting is just for the Voice shortcuts. Has nothing to do with the audio routing. See the video posted on 1st April 2019:

Let me get it straight: The NewTek Spark NDI (including the host mic) is an input only on computer A, right?

So in the Audio Mixer on computer A, you want to put all the inputs, that your host wants to hear, on bus A, so probably all inputs except the host mic.

On computer B, all you want to do is add the NDI input of A's NDI output. Done. No need for any bus routing on computer B.

(Maybe not running vMix on computer B is less confusing. NewTeks NDI Studio Monitor would probably be enough:

Nice catch on Voice Shortcut, that helps dmwkr!

If I run all audio on BusA from computer A to B, and turn off BusA option for the 'host mic' on computer A, this works (host isn't able to hear their own voice) but now I have no audio going to the main for recording or going out to live broadcast which is most important :)

Ultimately, I'm looking for a solution that allows the host (who's not on my computer but via LAN) to view the broadcast so she can see and hear guest but not hear her own voice in the headset. While I could run studio monitor, the host would hear their own voice on delay which is what I'm trying to remove/solve. I'm assuming it's a simple solution, just missing a key piece.

rperry2394  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 11:56:44 AM(UTC)
rperry2394

United States

Hey dmwkr, I left a reply here a while back but not seeing it so replying again and hoping I don't duplicate!

Thank you for clarifying "Voice Shortcuts" - clears up a lot of confusion on my end - appreciated.

As you outlined things, yes, it does work to run all inputs on BusA and remove host mic from BusA as the host mic is muted on computer B which is what I want. However, since all audio is sent to BusA, I have no audio going to the master for recording and live broadcast :(

Ultimately, what I'd like to accomplish is to have a host in separate room from me ("producer" on computer A) but on the same LAN to be able to see and hear the broadcast so the host can see and hear guest without the host hearing themselves in their headphones. As you noted above, I am running host video and audio feed via NDI into Computer A. While I could use NDI Studio Monitor for the host to see and hear, they'll also hear themselves in their headset so this is not a good solution.

Thank you for your continued support!
dmwkr  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 2:45:49 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Hi rperry2394,

the audio buses are not exclusive. You can send inputs to M and A (and B, C, ...). In the Audio Mixer, M and A should be activated (green) on all inputs, except for the host mic. On the host mic only M should be activated.

(I'm not sure: Maybe you have already made settings in the Channel Matrix in the inputs' audio settings. That's not were you want to do the routing. Do it in the Audio Mixer.)

Regarding Studio Monitor: If you select the NDI source from Computer A, it will only receive the audio you have set up on the NDI output on computer A. It's the same with vMix on computer B: It will only receive the audio you set up on computer A.

Hope that works.
rperry2394  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 5:25:56 AM(UTC)
rperry2394

United States

Hi rperry2394,

the audio buses are not exclusive. You can send inputs to M and A (and B, C, ...). In the Audio Mixer, M and A should be activated (green) on all inputs, except for the host mic. On the host mic only M should be activated.

(I'm not sure: Maybe you have already made settings in the Channel Matrix in the inputs' audio settings. That's not were you want to do the routing. Do it in the Audio Mixer.)

Regarding Studio Monitor: If you select the NDI source from Computer A, it will only receive the audio you have set up on the NDI output on computer A. It's the same with vMix on computer B: It will only receive the audio you set up on computer A.

Hope that works.

Oh my, that is the missing piece! Thank you much for that. So simple, so simple!